Lay My Hat home page Lay My Hat Forum
The forum for holiday rental owners

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister  
  ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Wingitaway
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Lay My Hat Forum Index ->
Rental listing sites
View previous topic :: View next topic  
F.F.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:00 pm    Post subject: Wingitaway Reply with quote

I friend recently told me of a newly launched letting site called wingitaway.com

Apparently an entry is £75 p.a. and a virtual tour can be included for another £75.

Has anyone heard of the site or used it? Perhaps it's too soon to ask?

It seems it is owned by a Web Design Company called European Digital Media and run by a Chester Duncalf Massey

The usual disclaimers apply; I have no connection whatever with Wingitaway
Margaret

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I don't like sites which mix holiday lets with long term rentals and property sales - they tend to do none of them well, I feel. What are they claiming to be 'No. 1' for - is the number of different things they offer? If you look carefully, they have 8 properties in the UK and 20 something in France and nothing anywhere else. I am certainly not going to waste any of my time on it.
www.border-holidays.co.uk
www.twitter.com/BavarianForest
www.facebook.com/BavarianForestHolidays
judyc

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a call from Wingitaway last week and although I am ususally very negative towards people cold calling me, I decided to give this one a shot.

These guys seem to be serious about what they are doing (yes, I know, that sounds like Rentability all over again) and if they are not serious then their guy has just wasted three hours at my place taking 360 degree movie shots of our gites, plus another three hours travelling time. I am looking forward to seeing them all on the website as they certainly looked good on his laptop.

My movies were £75 which was a very limited offer, but he may do a few more if you live near the Dordogne.

They are offering free advertising to the first 500 (for life!) to get themselves going and I think will be launching fully in November.

Worth a punt maybe?
LPC

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello F.F! Welcome to the forum, although you already have clocked up quite a few postings! If I'm honest, I agree totally with Margaret; I wouldn't risk £75 without strong evidence of a listing site being already successful. My view is that new sites should offer free listings with no extra charges - until such time as they are well established. This is common practice, altough far from universal.

Dearest Josette, our flock leader and friend, passed to the astral on 27 January, 2015. Roam free, dear one! xxx
LPC

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just received a sarcastic e-mail from the owner of Wingitaway, thanking me for negative feedback on LMH! I can't relate the contents, as it says that they can't be repeated! However, I found the tone oppressive and I didn't like it. I certainly won't be joining if the owner sends e-mails like that!

Dearest Josette, our flock leader and friend, passed to the astral on 27 January, 2015. Roam free, dear one! xxx
Thomas BC

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got an enquiry on my website based on my comments above. I followed it up and asked a few questions, as things were not all that clear on their website (appalling typos). He asked for my phone number, gave it to him ... what an arrogant man! But apparently Wingitaway is going to be big, and we are all going to be begging to be on it soon.

Basically the deal Judy got is not available to everyone.
Mountain Goat

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's an interesting site, and certainly a robust attitude to spelling and clarity.

From their T&Q:

we manage your bookings on a commission basis of just 15% per booking, per week based on the rental price…… If managing the property is to time consuming for you, we at ingitaway" can undertake the advertising and bookings of your property. You can request this option during on line registration. This option is purely to take all bookings and calls on your behalf. Our property advertising and bookings fee is not based on a percentage as this would fluctuate month by month. A simpler method has been devised and we will take 10% per week booked out by wingitaway.com. We will take care of all the bookings, liaising with clients and the administration.

Any clues?

MG
Sue Dyer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a look at recently joined members of LMH....
Mountain Goat

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmm, interesting. Trouble is, these days, you never know who's behind a name.......

If it is the owner/site manager, then hopefully they'll fill us in sooner rather than later.

MG
Wingitaway

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:16 am    Post subject: Announcement from Wingitaway CEO Reply with quote

Hi everybody, I am Chester Duncalf-Massey the CEO of The EDML Group. I think the actual overall offer we have has been misconstrued. We are simply offering FREE lifetime membership for new sign ups (time limited)

I spend approximately 5-6 months in Bergerac so that’s why we can offer the deal for virtual tours in the Dordogne (it did actually say this in Judy’s original post)

Once we reach critical mass in several weeks of approx 1500 + then the offer will be pulled. Virtual Tours can be ordered for any region of France but for obvious reasons there will be a charge to cover costs. Common sense one would think but still providing a fantastic service cheap enough for everybody.

Am I arrogant as the post above suggests? Probably am yes as I have immense confidence in our abilities to deliver what we promise. I spoke to a forum member who complained that because their property is in Normandy and there would be a small charge (quite obvious one would have thought) I was actually rude with person I admit but feel it was justified. The person I spoke to thought the virtual tours where a fantastic item to help with rentals (at £75 for three properties) but then turned rude when I said “there would be a charge for people outside the Dordogne" 99% of property owners would use common sense to determine how can I travel from the Dordogne to Normany and back for £75.

We are claiming to be No1 in this industry as we offer so many additional products and services that are unrivalled. From Virtual Tours at low prices to Web Sites, Video Tours which are all professionally produced in-house. There is an offer on our online store (link from main site) targeted at Chez Nous owners, this deal is available across the whole of France which is simply unbeatable (time limited)

Thanks to Paola for giving me the opportunity to make a retort here and I welcome any direct questions through our chat support system on the site. I am more than happy to take calls directly and answer any of your questions.

Note: T&C is now up to date on the site.
Thomas BC

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Announcement from Wingitaway CEO Reply with quote

Thank you Chester for your text message alert to my mobile phone of your post here.

Wingitaway wrote:

Am I arrogant as the post above suggests? Probably am yes as I have immense confidence in our abilities to deliver what we promise. I spoke to a forum member who complained that because their property is in Normandy and there would be a small charge (quite obvious one would have thought) I was actually rude with person I admit but feel it was justified. The person I spoke to thought the virtual tours where a fantastic item to help with rentals (at £75 for three properties) but then turned rude when I said “there would be a charge for people outside the Dordogne" 99% of property owners would use common sense to determine how can I travel from the Dordogne to Normany and back for £75.

Given it is my post above to which I assume you are referring, I assume your reference to a 'forum member in Normandy' is me too. Given your comments, I should like to respond. I am not going to get into a prolonged I-said-this-you-said-this sort of discussion - only because I think its inappropriate.

Suffice it for me to say - this is not my recollection of the discussion we had.

After boasting how many properties you yourself have, how 'cash rich' you were (which is why you said you are in the position to offer free listings), you went on to explain I would have to pay for the 3d photos myself. I asked if the 75£ deal for 3 3d images only applies to people near you. You confirmed this. I then said in that case I can not take your offer up - I am not "cash rich".

I understood your offer to be a free listing for life and 75£ for the 3d images. If that had been the offer, I would certainly pay that for the 3d pics - no hesitation, it is a great deal. This is where you turned rather nasty, and said I was only out to get as much as I could for nothing.

Not true - I was more than happy to pay what I understood the deal to be - 75£ for three photos for lifetime free listing. This is in fact the question I asked in my email to you - which is when you asked for my phone number.

Quote:

To: Basse Copette
Sent: Tuesday, June 9, 2009 9:04:14 PM
Subject: RE: Your contact

Hi Thomas, what’s your landline number ? I will give you a quick bell..

C

Sent: mardi 9 juin 2009 21:03
To: Wingitaway Admin
Subject: Re: Your contact

Hi Chester
Thanks for thisd ... I am having a look now...so it is free to sign up, for life. Do I still get the option of paying £75 for three virtual tours - professionally - as Judy did?

Is it possible to use these on my own site?

Do I pay Wingitaway a commission for bookings?

Kind regards
Thomas

You could not accept, once I had established that I do not get the offer as I misunderstood it, I did not want to list on Wingitaway.

Good luck with your enterprise ... maybe in a few months I will be banging on your door, as you suggested every holiday home owner would be. Then you can slam it in my face - my loss.
Wingitaway

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:24 am    Post subject: Last note from Chester Reply with quote

I am not prepare to get into a long argument with anybody, I am simply too busy and also it would not be fair given my opportunity to post my Paolo. I must congratulate Paolo and his team on running a fair and non biased forum!

You can quote as saying people that our Group of companies is cash rich right now, not me personally. I am not here to be detremental to anybody at all, however, I feel Tom's post is waving a red rag. Tom I will post if allowed (and you agree) the taped conversation between us if you like and then people can make their own mind up. This will clear up any short term memory loss.

The site is FREE to add all your properties people if you take 5 mins to look then all will become apparent.

I hope is all clear now and please contact me directly if you have any questions.

Chester
Mountain Goat

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chester, welcome to LMH.

Could you clarify the deal on commission?

You take 15% commission for a booking and insist that guests are met on arrival and a local manager is present on departure?

Why? This meeting business would be a heavy loading on the costs. Does that result from personal experience with holiday properties?

And what do we get for our 15%? That's nearer a local management fee, not just accepting a booking.

Yes, and a warm thank-you to Paolo and Paola.

MG
Wingitaway

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:39 am    Post subject: For MG Reply with quote

Hi Mg, thanks for greeting. I do indeed have 15 years direct experience in this game. I will briefly explain what, How and Why for all.

We launched the site after completing years of work for major brands. During this time I have acquired a large network of people. Some of people in the network have constantly asked for "us" to launch a brand that is Worldwide. The problem with most brands is that they are simply getting too expensive to advertise. Being part of a group we can offer great products and services at the right prices, we are not greedy or here to make a fast buck.

Your question about managing properties: We act as the agent, taking bookings and providing the service. We are not primarily seeking large quantities in this portfolio, to be honest we see this industry going the other way, independant people taking their own bookings. Most people are now IT literate which means (and demographics show) that 80% of owners will manage their own properties and bookings by 2012 (source Forbes and HCG)

I also have looked through this forum and site in detail and see that the biggest problem facing renters is getting value for moeny. Well we are not aware of any company being able to offer the services we can for small fees charged. The site will be at its "ready" state for end of November this year ready for high end promotion during this key season approaching 2010.

I know many people get approached all the time by companies offering free this and that but simply contact any one of our advertisers and get private feedback, that way you guys can judge it yourself.

As per my previous posts, you can contact me directly for any help or advice.

I welcome Paolo to contact me directly for a chat and then post a final posting here to clarify all. I think it will save lots of questions, and arguments.

Chester
Mountain Goat

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We act as the agent, taking bookings and providing the service.

Chester, I think this is the nub of my question. Are you implying that bookings on your site are handled by you and not the owner?And, if so, is there anywhere on your site a concise summary of what we are getting for our 15%?

Most of us on LMH realise that there is skill in turning an enquiry into a booking, and as owners we know we are best qualified to do that - we know our properties, the local area, the facilities - no agency can do that succcessfully.

MG
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Lay My Hat Forum Index ->
Rental listing sites