Has Anyone Used.....

OTA = Online Travel Agency, which means those sites that sell the booking and take the payment for you.
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Brooke,

I never "unsubscribe" because I am told that is what scammers want you to do to confirm that you exist at all.

I just set my filters to put them in my spam e-mail folder.

Alan
paolo

Post by paolo »

I got that one too. They must have a pretty comprehensive mailing list. I removed the www, no need to give them a link.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Well, I've just sent an e-mail to abuse @ ev1.net about Property World. The header of the spam e-mail said that the mail server IP is 207.218.248.10 , which is owned by a company called Everyones Internet, Inc. They seem to be a legit web hosting service.

Hopefully the e-mail to their admins will be effective.
Brooke
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Paolo,

Sorry about the "www". I will leave it out in future. Anyone wanting to follow a link can add it back in.

Alan
Guest3

Post by Guest3 »

Had one today from ownersrentals.com, anyone had a spam email from them? According to the advertising blurb...they're a north American based company 'with offices in Europe'?!
Normandy Cow

Post by Normandy Cow »

I got the ProperyWorld one too!

I wonder - could they have got our email addresses from this website? (laymyhat I mean).
paolo

Post by paolo »

I wonder - could they have got our email addresses from this website? (laymyhat I mean).
That shouldn't be possible but I don't know how secure is the phpBB software this forum is running on. They could be following links to owner's websites and harvesting the emails from there I suppose, but I got their email to addresses that are not linked to from here. More likely, they have just been harvesting. And how many people got this email that are not rental owners? Who knows.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

I'm very worried that the harvesting is taking place via the French Connections website. I have taken great pains to ensure that my inquiry e-mail is not harvestable from my site, and I haven't used that e-mail on any listing site that doesn't take such steps.

The only way to get my e-mail from my site is to copy it by hand. I used to get a few spam e-mails a year, but recently it has stepped up considerably. My first guess would be the FC inquiry form which contains our e-mail addresses in the code.

And frankly, if that's true, it really pisses me off...
Brooke
paolo

Post by paolo »

Brooke,

I haven't checked, but FC told me this was a glitch which they have now fixed (i.e. they weren't aware of it/concerned until I told them about it). You're right to be pissed off because that is a pretty feeble effort on their part.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
Emdee

Post by Emdee »

We received a call from thevillafinder/Exclusive Holidays sales bloke the day after our Holiday Rentals page went live..... coincidence?