Swimming pool electrics

For anything to do with the garden and pool
la vache!

Swimming pool electrics

Post by la vache! »

A question for anyone who has a pool really - has anyone had any experience of the trip switch on the electric box for the pump and pool light trip switch failing? The fuses are all OK, so I guess there must be an electrical problem somewhere in the system.
Some guests used the pool last night and must have fiddled about with all the switches when they tried to turn off the light. I have learnt a valuable lesson, I will definitely have strict opening hours for the pool in future.
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Susan,

When you add up the total electrical requirements of your pool - time clock, pump, wall lights, transformer box for in-pool lights - it doesn't come to much. If any one item develops a fault it is more likey that its individual plomb would trip rather than the main pool disjoncteur.

In the circumstances as you describe them I think it more likely that your guests have managed to turn off the disjoncteur as part of their fiddling with your switches.

My bet is, it will not happen again. If it does then get the system checked by your local electrician.

Alan
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Thanks Alan,
the electrician has come and gone - it was the déjoncteur that was broken, but I think that it may have been coincidence that one of the guests tried to turn off the light the same evening it happened. Apparently the condensateur in the pump may be faulty and this could have caused the problem when the pump was switched off instead of the light. Anyway, its all working now, just need a new déjoncteur ordered.
Incidentally, do you leave your filter pump on 24hrs/24h in the summer? My swimming pool dealer told me that there was less wear and tear caused to the pump if it was left on, rather than turned on and off each day.
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

I just have mine on for the recommended hours ie pool temp ÷2.With the other pool I do this and add a bit. I haven't heard of leaving it on 24 hours before but maybe this makes sense?There is often debate about some types of lights isn't there-whether to just leave them on or keep turning them off? Seems our poor environment looses out though :cry:

www.thepetitmanoir.com
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Susan,

Delighted to hear you have an immediate fix.
Incidentally, do you leave your filter pump on 24hrs/24h in the summer?
No I don't. In summer I run the filtration system for 6 hours each day, 3 hours in the morning and 3 hours in the evening. In spring and autumn I cut this down to 4 hours each day and in winter (I do not fully shut down my pool in winter) I cut this down to 1 hour each day. Cost of wear and tear -v- cost of electricity? I don't know.

Regards

Alan
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I will let you know when I get my next electricity bill Alan! I don't leave the heat pump on, just the filter, which I hope isn't too expensive, at least with the tempo tarif!
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Susan,

Pumps are driven by electric motors and electric motors don't use much electricity. By the way, how will you know? Do you have a separate meter for the pool?

Alan
Clexane

Post by Clexane »

Susan,

We leave our pool filter on for about 14 hours per day. The pool is heavily used by guests and being in the country we find that if we switch it off that teh insects tend to gather rather quickly.
So you wanted a holiday home in france ...

www.villaemmanuelle.com
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Alan,
Good point, 2 of the gites are also on that particular counter. However, it will be interesting to compare to the last 2 month period, where the heat pump wasn't on and the filter was only on 12 hours a day - I can't imagine the use in the gites will have been vastly different over the whole summer, except for some guests who switched on the radiators in July as the temperature fell to 20°c :x .
Back to subject:
Clexane wrote
The pool is heavily used by guests and being in the country we find that if we switch it off that teh insects tend to gather rather quickly

We have a few cows in the surrounding fields and there were an awful lot of dead flies in my pool today without the filter working!
[/quote]
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Susan,

Thank your lucky stars that cows can't fly.

Alan
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Alan,
Don't get me started on cows and their farmers! I had a fright a couple of years ago during the 2003 heatwave. It was at the end of August and there was a knock at the door from one of the guests saying that there were lots of cows surrounding the swimming pool. Luckily it was adequately enclosed and all they could do was look at the water, not get in there (I think they were thirsty). We soon managed to get them away. However, My neighbour, the farmer, has told me he has no insurance for his cows on other peoples property (they have escaped onto our lawn at least 3 times, fortunately when the ground has been hard) - apparently the onus is on everyone else to have assurance or adequate fencing to prevent the cows entering.
My insurance company said he was talking m****.
However, the farmer is a friend of ours and last time he drove the tractor full of fumier and left most of it on our road, at least he did come and clear it up.
Like I said, you shouldn't have mentioned cows!!!!!