Don't discount for August!

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
kitkat

Don't discount for August!

Post by kitkat »

I've made a note to myself for next year 'to definately not discount for August weeks'!!!

We have 3 gites - 2 that sleep up to 6 and a small appartment that sleeps 2-3. The 2 larger gites tend to book up pretty early and the small gite tends to book up 'last minute'.

We still had the last 2 weeks free in August in the small gite and when an enquiry came in this weekend for the 2 weeks I firstly agreed to a £200 discount. half a dozen emails later and against my better judgement I'd also agreed to alternate arrival & departure days, a rduced 10 day booking and finally to wait until Friday (his payday) for the payment. You guessed it... this morning I get 2 new enquiries for the same fortnight... arghhh!!!

After much 'beating myself-up' I've decided to live with my decision. Just hope the payment comes through on Friday as promised, if not I'm not going to be a happy bunny.

Anyway the moral of this story is 'Don't discount for August'... it'll get booked-up eventually'!
Musetta

Post by Musetta »

thanks :-) I have one Aug. week left...so I needed to hear that about now!
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Crikey - we don't even get the option to discount July and August - so far they've been booked up by the previous Sept/Oct!

Mind you, who knows what 2010 will bring, but if we salute the magpie . . .

Mols
Jumping is just dressage with speed-bumps.
Partridge

Post by Partridge »

I have the same dilema every year with the last week of August, usually books late, last year I discounted, this year one of the first to go. Don't beat yourself up, you may not have converted the other 2, bird in the hand and all that :wink:
Don't waste energy on things you can't change.

Costa de la Luz apartment rental
www.ownersdirect.co.uk/spain/S5386.htm
Blue Shutters

Post by Blue Shutters »

I have the bank holiday week at the June/Sept rate rather than peak, so it's sort of discounted anyway, it's my only July/August week left. I had an enquiry last week, presumed it would be for that week, but no, last week in October!

I am not changing the price, and hope there is someone out there who will book whose children have those few extra days off, or anyone who hasn't been able to commit to a holiday yet, we were a mid August booker last year!
Yes I know the shutters are not blue!
Blog
Twit Tweets
harcourtv57

Post by harcourtv57 »

Last year we (unusually) had vacant weeks in August, This year we have one week left at the house and two weeks left at the one bedroom apartment (other apartment fully booked). Hoping that if this glorious weather keeps up we will have some last minuters - but if not I won't discount until at least the middle of July. Sadly no two week summer bookings this year and quite a few short breaks so we are busier than ever with changeovers