how about this...

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
tansy

how about this...

Post by tansy »

We have just laid on a lunch for some of our repeat guests...last year they had Utah Beach house for 2 weeks...because we were booked there this year they took St Germain or 1 week.

Not only did they bring us some English teabags and Duchy Cornwall shortbread they gave us a poem their 14 year old daughter wrote about the holiday last year.

It moved me to tears...so I'm framing it for the house...thought you all might like to read it too...it is printed on a photo that Mali took of the sunrise.

Sunrise

The alarm disturbed my peaceful sleep
Now I would never know the ending to my perfect dream
Sarah pulled the duvet off me
It was cruel but it was the only thing tha worked.
I forced myself out of bed,
I grabbed my wool jumper,
Sarah & I made our way up the cold,stone steps,
The house was quiet,
Everyone was asleep.
As we opened the door we made sure not to wake anyone.
We sat in the conservatory in silence,
We had a perfect view of the sea.
An hour passed as we waited,
Then the slightest ray of sun appeared,
We ran out of the house,
The morning air was cold,
We ran over the sand dunes,
And down onto the beach,
No one was in sight,
The ocean was calm,
Mist gathered at each end of the beach,
It crept slowly towards us,
The only sound was the squawking of the seagulls,
The sun rose over the sea
It was magical,
The sun looked like a ball of fire over the ocean,
The sand was cold between my toes,
I did not need to know the ending of my dream,
The dream was right here.

Isn't that lovely.can't believe a 14 year old could have so much poetry!
Maisy

Post by Maisy »

Wow, what a wonderful present.
paolo

Post by paolo »

That knocks spots off the sort of poems I was writing at 14. What a well attuned child!
Paolo
Lay My Hat
debk

Post by debk »

Tansy, thanks so much for sharing. I think that the best part of this biz is the "connection" that occurs with the guests. And when they send it back your way, like this girl did, so obviously sharing the love you have for your chosen place... well, it brings tears to my eyes, too. And I hate poetry!
Beijinhos,
debk
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

That knocks spots off the sort of poems I was writing at 14
and me... I was going through my Morrissey stage then and he hadn't even been heard of!! :lol:
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

Ooooh,that was lovely :D Makes it all worthwhile eh?
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Spectacular, and well-deserved, I'm sure! :)
Brooke
A-two

Post by A-two »

vrooje wrote:Spectacular, and well-deserved, I'm sure! :)
Ditto!
Waves from America
tansy

Post by tansy »

I thought I'd continue it's all worth it here as the one Susan started has become an educational debate...but today was another perfect changeover day - 2 sets of really really lovely people - the houses absolutely immaculate - when I got to Utah Beach property they were still there & a set of bedding was on the line...their 12 year old son has an ear infection (they had rung us for a Dr who put him on antibiotics - yes put extra stuff down the fosse today!!) - the mum said they washed it as they didn't want us to handle his bedding in case we got a bug..is that sweet or what?

Wish all our guests were so thoughtful..but yes it IS worth it when this sort of thing happens!
it's all a learning curve!
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

We've had fantastic guests this summer and not one difficult changeover day. We even got a repeat booking from some guests for next summer 15 minutes after they had arrived in their cottage last Saturday - is this a record??
enid

Post by enid »

We are only in our second year so haven't a long history for comparison but we are having a lovely summer. Guests who we have really been sad to stay goodbye to - and some for whom it was only au revoir as they have booked for next year! We do have a guest book which usually has pleasant comments - much more useful are the feed back sheets where people do try to give us ideas for improvement however minor - an e.g. this year we had two groups suggesting a larger kitchen pedal bin - not a difficult one to resolve. Other comments cheered us up no end and really did make it all worth it -

'you have inspired us to put our own shower room in order!'

'Wide variety of information and kept up to date - we found you the most important source of information'

The pool is excellent - good quality loungers and chairs. Good games'

'If I was asked to complete a feed back form for my own home, the scores would be somewhat lower!'

'The facilities both inside and out are excellent but what has really made our time so very special is you! Thanks for a wonderful 2 weeks - it has been a fantastic experience.'

The little birthday party by the pool, the print out of the weather forecast etc etc - so easy for us to do and such a pleasure have elicited this last comment I think.

So knowing that you can't please all of the people all of the time we are voting in the Yes it is worth it camp!