difficult guests!

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
skye

difficult guests!

Post by skye »

:?:

After years of renting out three cottages in different parts of France, without problems, we have now have a couple claiming that the house was not clean enough for them. The agent was there within minutes and offered to deal with the issues, which were minor, but for whatever reason they declined to stay, Their journey had taken twice as long as expected and they had children so probably were stressed - but they chose to leave immediately. We rang them at the hotel, but they were not prepared to be reasonable and were only interested in full compensation. We offered an amount in compensation and for them still to have the holiday but they would not consider the offer. Since returning home they have again been in touch and still expect a complete refund - we feel this is unreasonable as we could have rented the property easily to someone else at this time of year. Has anyone else had a similar experience or is there a standard course of action?
Normandy Cow

Post by Normandy Cow »

I would not offer a refund. I would probably have offered for my cleaner to go in (at my expense) to clean whatever it was that they felt was not clean enough but no way would I offer them a refund!!!
paolo

Post by paolo »

Welcome to the forum, skye! Image

I agree with Catherine, if they have a problem with certain issues of cleanliness, that is easily fixed by a cleaner. You can then offer compensation for the inconvenience, perhaps a day's rent. But a full refund is over the top, and would only really be appropriate if the house wasn't as advertised.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
skye

difficult guests

Post by skye »

Thank you to CatherineS and Paolo for responding so quickly! It is important to us to know that we are not being unreasonable and the last thing we want is for anyone to be unhappy. It was their choice to curtail the holiday for whatever reason - so we will await the outcome. Thank you so much for providing such a valuable and interesting web site.
alexia s.

Post by alexia s. »

I would do as Catherine - what, though, was the issue? We once had people who complained that the taps hadn't been sufficiently polished. It all comes down to what is reasonable. If the problem was dealt with straight away that should be the end of the incident. Without knowing more about the issue it is difficult to see why you would give any compensation - what "loss" did they suffer?
Best,
Alexia.
Itsonlyme

Post by Itsonlyme »

Sounds like people trying it on again. If you offered to remedy the problem, you are not liable to give them anything. I wouldn't offer any compensation at all.
skye

difficult guests

Post by skye »

Thank you again for the replies - just to say that the issues were dust on a lampshade, finding a tiny piece of crisp on a cover and a slight damp patch on the kitchen floor(slight leak on door seal of washing machine which happens when the machine hasn't been used for a while) - led them to feel that the house was unsafe. We would like everything to be perfect on arrival but these were not insurmountable problems. It was only because we were so taken aback that we offered any compensation while at the same time feeling that we did not want our keyholders to be upset by the situation. They are always helpful and have had letters and e-mails thanking them for their help and advice. We would like to stand our ground -bearing in mind that the house was as advertised, the issue was a minor cleaning one which could be rectified in minutes,but still they are expecting a full refund.Hopefully they will see reason!
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Agreed, hopefully they will see reason...

...though even if they don't, it probably doesn't matter much. If you offered to fix the issue and your contract/booking terms state that your rental price is non-refundable after a certain date, they can't really do much more than complain.

Seriously, dust on a lampshade?
Brooke
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Skye,

In my opinion this is just the sort the thing which makes living on-site infinitely better than being an absentee landlord.

For me, it is never too soon or too late or too inconvenient to deal with a problem and if there is a problem it is dealt with by me, immediately and personally.

It is very difficult for anyone to invent a problem and it is virtually impossible for them to reject an immediate resolution when they are face-to-face with the owner.

On the other hand, I always ensure that problems do not exist. Why? Because I can and because I think that is what my guests are entitled to.

Alan
debk

Post by debk »

Seriously, dust on a lampshade?
led them to feel that the house was unsafe.
Dustophobia? :lol:

Seriously now, what's a crisp? Doesn't sound too dangerous... but perhaps it bites?
A-two

Post by A-two »

Yes, I can just imagine a Judge agreeing with them that your place was rendered uninhabitable by a leaky washer door, one potato crisp and some dust on a lampshade. :lol:

If you remedied these minor problems within a few hours, and they still refused to move back in, then they were spinning your wheels. Sounds to me like these folks picked the wrong holiday and are looking for excuses, trying to make you pay for their mistake, in which case, I would offer them absolutely nothing.

I would simply refund their deposit in full with a brief note saying "in full and final settlement". I wouldn't get into any further discussion about it. Either they will take the money, (cash the check/cheque), in which case you are in the clear, or they will threaten you with court, which is laughable. (see paragraph one above).

One word of caution. I would be very wary of using words like "compensation", which is as good as admitting they are in the right and you are in the wrong. Then the only argument is how much is the wrong worth?

Even if you think they can reasonably expect something back for inconvenience and time lost, I would NEVER give this as "compensation", only as a "gesture of good will" which doesn't imply liability.

I would rather not admit liability at all with folks who are being completely unreasonable, and think you are wise to insist these were very minor problems of the kind that can occur in any household and not a valid reason for anyone to need to move out. Would they move out of their own house and into a hotel for the same reasons? Of course not. They preferred the hotel to your cottage, that's all. Everything else is just nonsense.

Regarding the cottage, if not done already, I would call in a plumber to have the rubber seal on the washer door replaced as soon as possible. Even though you may know it's not a major defect, a casual observer may think it is. Nobody feels comfortable using a machine that appears to have flooded, or have an ongoing leak, so it's only going to be a source of more trouble and uncertainty.

Also, I don't think it's acceptable for arriving tenants to find scraps of food left by previous tenants and yes, that does include the odd crisp, although I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. Maybe your cleaners had a particularly difficult clean the week before and were very rushed, but sorry, I can't help wondering what else they may be missing.

Finally, since the house would have been unoccupied all week, I would take the opportunity to have the cleaners to do all the extra jobs that are difficult for them to fit into a normal changeover, but can start to build up about this time in the season if we're not careful about keeping on top of them. So this situation is a gift in that respect.

Just my opinion and hope it helps,
Waves from America
Itsonlyme

Post by Itsonlyme »

Blimey, no, I certainly wouldn't give their deposit back! That is a form of compensation. The whole point of a deposit is that it's non-returnable (unless you were obliged to cancel their holiday for some reason). If they turned up and decided not to stay, that's their problem.
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

I'm a bit confused.Are we talking about the security deposit?
tansy

Post by tansy »

Skye...do you think there is something more to this than meets the eye? Why would anyone travel that far & then not stay...from your description those are not reasons for not staying...I think you need to dig deeper to find the real reason...it is completely beyond me why anyone would do such a thing - most folk if they don't like somewhere then try to make the most of it.

Would it help if a mediator spoke with them perhaps?

But I think they should still pay for the whole week...you could have let it out to someone else...I'm trying to think back to my hotel days what we would have done if someone stormed out...I think still charge.
Clexane

Post by Clexane »

Skype,

The amount of money in question is probably not enough for them to do much more than write you a few dirty letters. Even walking into a solicitors office and getting a letter will cost them 300-400. Then they have to have a case to get anywhere. At least with a solictor you would get the claim outlined on why you should pay.

I would do nothing more than you have already done and wait them out. I would also ignore any letters until they try and go for a court hearing even not answering solictor threats but calling them to give your side of the story at most - so that they would recognise it as the hopeless case this is.

You have unhappy guests and nothing you do now will remedy so do your best to forget about them.

Good luck
So you wanted a holiday home in france ...

www.villaemmanuelle.com