Where on Earth?

OTA = Online Travel Agency, which means those sites that sell the booking and take the payment for you.
Alan Knighting

Where on Earth?

Post by Alan Knighting »

Dear All,

Have you seen this one before? It arrived by e-mail this evening.

Anglia Television is looking for participants for a new primetime property series. It isn't about taking a holiday in the sun and looking at some nice houses. We are looking for people SERIOUS about property developing abroad and willing to lay their money on the table when they see a fantastic bargain.
Click here: whereonearthgroup.com/property-france-renovate-restoration-projects.php to read more.

To support Anglia TV we are launching a new service. If you are looking to buy or sell a property, or have available weeks/nights in your accommodation, you can place FREE adverts under the WANTED or PROPERTY FOR SALE or HOLIDAYS sections of our classified adverts. Click here to place a free advert:
whereonearthgroup.com/free-advertising-products-services-property-cars.php

You can place as many FREE adverts under as many separate categories as you wish. So if you are selling a house, have vacant weeks, have furniture to sell, want to clear the attic, or want to sell old stock or want to shift last minute holidays you can advertise anything and everything absolutely free of charge. In fact, we respectfully request that you abuse our hospitality by placing as many different adverts as you like.

Please use the email a friend facility to advise your friends that they can sell absolutely anything for FREE and that this is the place to pick up the best bargains.

PLEASE NOTE: The official launch of our classified sections does not take place until 5th August so we need as many advertisements as possible now. The functionality for contacting advertisers and placing display advertisements will not be implemented until the 5th. In the meantime you can place as many free advertisements as you want. You will receive a confirmation email for each advert with a link for you to make it go live.

Please visit whereonearthgroup.com to find out what else is happening in the direct letting market.

Tempted?

Alan
paolo

Post by paolo »

Nice bit of spam that, although the segue from Anglia TV to another free listing site is a bit clunking. Their website is a right mess. If you want to see search engine optimisation getting in the way of user-friendliness, that is a good example.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
alexia s.

Post by alexia s. »

I don't know about search engine optimisation, but their "English" hasn't been optimised.
"The system doesn't allow advertisers to be be contacted before 5/8" becomes "The functionality for contacting advertisers and placing display advertisements will not be implemented until the 5th".
How do they get from clear to mud? Is it genetic? Do they take special classes?
Best,
Alexia.
Renaud

Post by Renaud »

Well, I've resisted registering here for a while, but a post concerning the "whereonearthgroup.com" couldn't pass me by without some comment!

This "group" is more or less a one man web site creation industry! Simply go to their home page for a bewildering number of links to all sorts of sites, mostly themed around holiday accomodation. From any of these you can link to dozens more....the trail is endless!
One of the web sites of this "rats nest" of sites was for "France One Call", which I was invited to advertise on. But having declined the offer, I was regularly e-mailed with 'news' etc, which at one time included several "can you help us out" type requests. This was along the lines of: " A group of 10 have just had their holiday cancelled at short notice and are desperate for a rental property. Can you help us out?" If you responded you found that this group had now been accomodated, but this was typical of the sort of enquiry that "France One Call" was getting, and if you advertised you would get priority on these type matters in future, together with etc. etc. etc., with another attempt to sign you up with a million and one different possible offers..."Join this site and also get included on another site for half price, blah, blah, blah....". I never joined. But a near neighbour did, but never received a single enquiry.
If you want some more 'flavour' of what this gentleman is about: one of his web sites is called "TEN OF THE BEST WEBSITES RENTING SELF-CATERING HOLIDAY HOMES IN FRANCE". Needless to say they are all part of his 'portfolio'. Included is a site entitled "Welcome to frenchtouristoffice.net", which has NO connection with the French Tourist Office. More than a bit 'naughty'?
Or what about the page on "France Review" regarding (aarrgh!) "Swimming Pool Safety - New Legislation"? Included in the list of things which all pools MUST have by law by Jan 2004 is:

" Life rings must be easily accessible and visible.
Life resuscitation (mouth to mouth) first aid instructions must be clearly visible.
All swimming pools will have to have the swimming area lit by 2006."
as well a claiming you must have a fence, and an alarm and a safety cover!!!
Get involved at your peril!

p.s. Hi Alan! Nice to meet up again!
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Renaud,
p.s. Hi Alan! Nice to meet up again!
And long may it continue to happen. I take it that you underwhelmed by this group of websites. Where on earth does the chap come from?

Regards

Alan
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Post Script.

Renaud was a fellow member of another forum and I welcome him here.

Alan
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Welcome, Renaud! :)
Brooke
Renaud

Post by Renaud »

The 'whereonearthgroup' and 'franceonecall' are part of the incredible number of web sites knocked up by Paul Herbert, although he seems a bit shy in putting his name on his sites these days.

Dig into the festering heap that is this virtual world and you will come across sites like whereonearthgroup.com/restaurants.php

Here it seems you are presented with the opportunity to search for a restaurant throughout France, Spain, Italy, the UK or Ireland. In fact you can only choose France. No matter, got to be lots of choice in France! Mmmm, my stomachs already rumbling!!!
So click on France and move to another page where, strangely, there is a lot of blurb about the marvellous oppurtunities there are in advertising your restaurant with this 'organisation'. Sounds impressive, particularly since your restaurant "can also qualify for a coveted World One Call restaurant accreditation; the Internet's most recognised symbol of quality". Hmm...never heard of that one...but onwards....my stomachs waiting for a gastronomic delight to be unearthed!
So lets "Click here for an overview of all the restaurants in France" Goodness!!! Have I got time!!! Hold on though, the phrase "we currently have in our databases" follows the description so things might not be too unmanageable.
The tummy rumblings continue even louder now, as we are presented with a regional map of France. If we run the cursor over each region we will be able to see the number of restaurants in the database for that region. Michelin stars here we come...
Hmmm....not a good start. Nord - Pas de Calais has none. Well, not too much of a surprise, I suppose. Picardie has zero as well. Lets try further south. How about Rhone -Alps region, which contains Lyon. Surely a restaurant there is wanting to get "a coveted World One Call restaurant accreditation"? No. None again.
In fact Aquitaine is the only region with a restaurant in the database. Just one restaurant. In all of France. Well lets hope they're "World One Call accredited".
Sadly "La Perdrix" nr Riberac (close to where Mr. Herbert lives) does not look much like a restaurant at all. It looks rather like someones house. One of the pictures shows the cemetery next door! And I'm not certain about "we can serve our guests a four-course dinner that you will not easily forget".
If anyone has ever seen this restaurant I'll be amazed. Incidentally, La Perdrix features in a number of other roles, such as host to "Dordorgne painting holidays" where "Fine Art courses are given". It probably features in other guises, but by this time my stomachs had enough.
So, hopefully, this has given you a taste of the world of "whereonearthgroup" and its many associated enterprises, and an indication of how useful they may be as part of your marketing strategy.
paolo

Post by paolo »

I received this spam from the whereonearth guy. It made me laugh for the extraordinary leaps of logic, from: everyone loves a bargain, to: therefore email your friends, to: 5 to the power of 8!
If you have any last minute availability, you can advertise it here FREE of charge.
whereonearthgroup.com/cheapest-cars-computers-holidays-clothes.php

As many adverts as you want.

In fact anyone can advertise anything for sale here free of charge.

It is the advertise it FREE buy it CHEAPEST place to visit.

Everyone you know has something to sell, everyone loves a bargain and we all like to know we bought at the best possible price. If you then take the trouble to email your friends and family using our multiple email a friend facility, and ask them to ask their friends to do the same, you will have started a chain of referrals that will include people who will want to book
your property.

This is because 5 to the power of 8 is 1,953,125

5x5=25x5=125x5=625x5=3,125x5=15,625x5=78,125x5=390,625x5=1,953,125

This is no risk, no capital out lay marketing but it does require you investing 5 minutes of your time.

We have only just launched this new service and it requires everyone playing their part to really give it a good kick start.

People will visit these web pages for all manner of reasons, but they will leave buying a variety of things and tell their friends about it. Our unique advertise it FREE buy it at the CHEAPEST price service is going to snowball.

kind regards

Paul Herbert
Paolo
Lay My Hat
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

I think it would be fair to say that the whereonearthgroup is not "top of the pops" for Renaud or Paolo. I think that Garri has cast his eye upon it and was not overwhelmed.

A case of "thank you but, no thank you"?

Alan
Garri

Post by Garri »

Yep, a truly awful website, or should I say myriad/plethora of websites. Mind-numblingly horrible user experience with zilch imagination or flair. What on earth are they thinking?

I think anyone designing websites and web applications should start off by reading this: http://www.useit.com/

It should be the law!
Garri

Post by Garri »

I should also say that there is a much cleverer, more subtle way of using viral marketing for this - thankfully he hasn't found it yet :wink: