Verifying who you are.....

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
Big Sis..

Verifying who you are.....

Post by Big Sis.. »

Well thats a first, and I spose its a bit understandable, though a little worrying.

Someone has booked for next October, family Party etc..
been emailing back and forth for a while[as you do]......nice lady.

Well next week shes COMING to Gorleston to pay me the deposit..... :shock:
She doesnt live locally........
Just think this is partly one of those 'do you exist' concerns which in the current climate isnt surprising though a little sad....

Will really have to look into taking credit cards etc. if this is a taste of how people are feeling :(

Then again she might just like to have a paddle in the sea.We do have a Lovely beach :wink:
tree-peony

Post by tree-peony »

I've been pondering this very thing recently - not that anyone has actually asked for proof yet, but it can only be a matter of time. Do you think a photocopy of a utility bill might be an idea?

I'm also waiting for YHM's relaunch with major interest ;)
http://www.gozoluxury.co.uk
actually quite nice apartment in Gozo!
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Well I havent either TP,
but if it did worry them too much they wouldnt contact us would they ,theyd enquire somewhere where the website details did reassure them initially.
So we wouldnt know or even get the chance to say I have utility bills etc......
Wonder if we could put summatt on our websites??......

Erm food for thought.........
Martha

Post by Martha »

I haven't been asked yet, but I'm a limited company, so I was planning to point them at my online listing at companieshouse.gov.uk, which is registered at the address they'd be sending a cheque to. My name is very unusual (I'm the only one in the world as far as I know! ) and it's the name of my company, too, so there'd be no doubt there.

I'm just working on a page for the site on this subject - haven't linked it up yet and just noticed a spelling mistake - oops - but here it is

http://www.chaletlaforet.com/booking/bo ... dence.html
Chalet la Foret, Chamonix
Margaret

Post by Margaret »

Martha, you don't seem to actually give your names - or are they on a different page? Or is there a reason for not giving them?
Martha

Post by Martha »

Oops! Thanks Margaret. Though mind you, I really don't want to put my full name on. :/ I just hate putting my full name up online. I've had nutters stalking me before and it wasn't fun.

I guess at least Martha and Nick would be a good idea though!

Nick doesn't mind his name up, I don't think. Maybe we can just use his surname.

hmm maybe I could make that page not google searchable.
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

Do you think a photocopy of a utility bill might be an idea?
thats what I did with a nervous renter (french) who wanted me to print every page of from my advert, sign it and fax it back to her!

I've also been thinking about the c.c. route, but I don't really want to go down that.

Mousie
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
Margaret

Post by Margaret »

My name's all over the internet anyway from the day job so it doesn't bother me!
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Margaret wrote:My name's all over the internet anyway from the day job so it doesn't bother me!
Yes, no-one could doubt your existence Margaret! You don't even need to know your surname, just 'Margaret Bavaria' and you areon the first page of Google.
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Blimey :shock:
Ive just googled 'Ros Torrevieja' and Im third for my twitterings on Twitter
thats one above my 4th for Lay my hat :oops:

Just my name on its own gets me the whole Ist page.
That should prove I exist surely :wink:
Martha

Post by Martha »

heheh one and two for martha chamonix!

Might be worth linking to my flipkey listing when it's verified.
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Thats great Martha[and Margaret]

Joking apart
and I know this Twittering, Facebooking, and even dare I say LMHatting is sometimes frowned upon
[as if we just do it just cos we enjoy chatting] .......pah :wink: :D

But in these days of 'Do you exist'? this must really help, surely??......

Blimey, maybe Ive found my niche in life afterall :D
Partridge

Post by Partridge »

It could be that she's seen your facebook/twitters/lmh etc and is desperately curious to meet you Ros :lol:

For the 1 property summer only bookings there's no way I'd go down the credit card route, too much hassle I'd just send them a copy of a utility bill or....hang on...a personalised postcard :idea: :P
Don't waste energy on things you can't change.

Costa de la Luz apartment rental
www.ownersdirect.co.uk/spain/S5386.htm
Margaret

Post by Margaret »

This name thing is a serious point. Apart from the fact that I believe there is no substitute for full first name and surname in terms of conveying credibility, it is very valuable to use the same nickname on all the forums etc. that you belong to. I have seen this mentioned in several other places but it is a mistake I made early on - I registered some very weird names, fortunately on sites which I rarely use, apart from TripAdvisor where I really must try to do something about it - for some reason I decided to use the name of our Welsh house!
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Utility bills are inadvisable as a means of identity as they are so handy then to be used to defraud you!

Accreditation/verification schemes such as the one we're currently improving and tightening on YHM (including the seal of approval) are going to become increasingly attractive to the book-direct-with-owner community over time I suspect.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be