Handling late arrival of deposits

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
Big Sis..

Handling late arrival of deposits

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi All

Ive had a few bookings for next year which is good.....
but Im awaiting a deposit from someone whose booked[or seems to think she has ] a couple of weeks next summe[June] for both houses...
I know its a while off, but its booked or not booked isnt it??
I try to be nice and whatever but this has been going on a couple of weeks now.
We definitely want it.........well have you sent the deposit and booking form off yet then, as I havent received it.
No cos I havent received their share of the deposit and dont want to put it in in case I dont get it back..
erm.... well this could be a problem when the balance is due[methinks]..........
Oh no it will be fine then.

Ive said now that I am regarding these weeks as vacant ......and if she wants me to hold them she needs to send the deposit ........
What else can you do??...Im pleased I dont do availability calenders as dates would be appearing and disappearing all over rhe shop[await response and ducking.......]

:roll: :D
Holiday Almeria

Post by Holiday Almeria »

Once I send out a booking form I give 5 days to receive the returned form and a deposit of some sort otherwise it is classed as still being vacant. The calendar display has a booked, vacant and please enquire against it. I can change the calendar to please enquire while waiting and then either booked or vacant depending on whether the monies arrive or not.

Mark
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

I know youre right Mark..
Im a bit too soft at times...will have to harden up[slap :oops: ]

Mind you there are times when i can get well.......... :shock:
You really wouldnt want to know but its few and far between luckily :D
kteee

Post by kteee »

I give clients 7 days to get payment to me, in the meantime I mark the dates as booked on my spreadsheet but not on the public calendar - gives them a bit of an incentive to see 'their' dates still free!!
Beanie

Post by Beanie »

If you want to turn the screws a little, you could always advise them that you've had another enquiry for that period so you'd need a reply from them within 24 hours to continue to hold the booking. However, 'you're sure they'll understand that you cannot continue to hold the period for them without a deposit received and potentially lose another booking. Hence, on this occasion you'll extend the hold for a further 4 working days (i.e. until Thursday 23rd July) but funds do need to be into your account by then, if not, unfortunately, you will have to offer it to the other party'.

We all have to stand firm when it comes to collecting the money and we are all running businesses. Guests are not friends/family. Also, if they're giving you the runaround at this stage, it might just be setting the tone for the future ... sometimes best to lose someone like that if they're potential trouble. I'm sure a sharp poke will wake them up and at worse, you may lose them, but if it's a way off, you'll re-fill, I'm sure.

Beanie
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Also, if they're giving you the runaround at this stage, it might just be setting the tone for the future ...
Thats my main concern.
Ive already talked one lot of guests out of booking[didnt feel right]
Ive told the lady that the dates are now available as far as Im concerned.I will see what happens...... :wink:
Topcat

Post by Topcat »

I give people 5 days and I tell them this right away. Unfortunately I'm obviously not entirely clear, as one lot of guests thought that meant they had 5 days to make up their mind if they actually wanted it. Fortunately they did book and have just sent the balance (rather late as it happens) but it just shows how things can be wrongly interpreted.

TC
Debut novelist at http://tinyurl.com/or89jle

http://wivenhoewriters.blogspot.co.uk/
Contributor to anthology 'In a Word: Murder'