Requests to Reduce Price

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
apexblue

Requests to Reduce Price

Post by apexblue »

Anyone else getting an influx of enquiries that come back with your price is outside our budget could you offer a reduced price? Our prices are clearly quoted on the websites.
It is better to remain quiet and have one think you are stupid, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt....

The biggest mistake we make in life is thinking we have time.
Margaret

Post by Margaret »

No. In fact, it is some time since anybody said anything like that. But then it is mainly Germans who query the price and they rarely come to us in summer, only for skiing.
James3214

Post by James3214 »

Nobody has asked me to reduce prices yet. I sounds like some of them are just desperate to get somewhere that is still available!
kteee

Post by kteee »

Yes, loads, I posted about it a few weeks ago, all my prices are clearly shown too!
roxytoo

Post by roxytoo »

me too, loads, In fact someone offered me half yesterday! (I'm already booked!)
tansy

Post by tansy »

I had one from London... I refused to budge explaining very carefully how I arrived at our price... they consequently booked at our full asking price - however I do wish they hadn't as I felt they were on the edge, we didn't relax with them, (property developers), to be brutal when folk start pushing you to lower they can't afford it, so possibly they are going to be picky...
it's all a learning curve!
uzsree

Post by uzsree »

Happens all the time. Now with the credit crunch mostly from UK and Polish people. French and Germans are fine with the rates. We did some discounts in the past to attact holidaymakers but dont do it now and have more bookings :/)

More annoying are people who want to arrive 8 people in our property for 6...
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

A friend of mine is a successful businessman with a lot of experience behind him. When we first started I was talking to him about big reductions for real last minute bookings, of the "cover the fixed costs and add £100" level of discount.
In his view, all this would achieve in businessspeak was to devalue the product. Either sell at a price where people can recognise the worth of the product, or don't sell it at all, even if it means an empty week. Food for thought.
harcourtv57

Post by harcourtv57 »

Have to agree with you there Greenbarn. We have sometimes offered late availability at something near cost plus a bit more, but sometimes the guests you attract with this level of discounting are more trouble than they are worth. Not to mention very little return for the same amount of work as full price.
TTP mk2

Post by TTP mk2 »

I took a booking yesterday for next week (that we didn't really want) & the client asked if there was a 'late booking surcharge'
windrush

Post by windrush »

TTP mk2 wrote:I took a booking yesterday for next week (that we didn't really want) & the client asked if there was a 'late booking surcharge'
Did you say yes? :wink:

We haven't been asked for any reductions, we did briefly consider reducing the price for some unsold August weeks but now we're glad we didn't because they all sold at full price in the end. In fact, the guests who are coming next week told me after booking that they'd be arriving on Monday instead of Saturday, but didn't ask for any reduction despite cutting their holiday short by 2 days.
Chianti

Post by Chianti »

We don't discount, nor are we asked for one. Have to agree with Greenbarn's friend, rather stay empty and get work done then to have the fuss & bother of discounted guests. It saves on wear and tear all around. As stated; the point is to get the price of the product right in the 1st place.
Chianti

Tecno twit, but I can tie my shoes !
olive

Post by olive »

"In his view, all this would achieve in businessspeak was to devalue the product. Either sell at a price where people can recognise the worth of the product, or don't sell it at all, even if it means an empty week.."

This has always been my view. Reduce (publicly) this year and you may deter next year's clients.
alifrank1

Post by alifrank1 »

TTP mk2 wrote:I took a booking yesterday for next week (that we didn't really want) & the client asked if there was a 'late booking surcharge'
How funny, I also took a booking yesterday for next week. I only had a 5 day slot, didn't really want the hassle of sorting it quickly so told her I'd have to charge for the full week. She agreed and has also paid cash into my bank account to make sure she gets the keys in time :D
Maurmc

Post by Maurmc »

As we only listed at the end of July and wanted to maximise booking opportunity at this late stage of the season, we put next week's availability on a late deal. We got a booking yesterday but we have wondered if we would have got a booking anyway :? There was a lot of work involved answering enquiries that amounted to nothing (I know that's to be expected :!: ) as prospective clients on late deals then discovered flights were too expensive but didn't let me know they were no longer interested :cry: . All part of our learning curve :) Can't believe how much I've learned in the past two weeks- a huge amount of it from this forum, so thanks all of you! :wink:
If you always do what you've always done then you'll always get what you've always got.

Apartment Mil Palmeras