New owners with a bed problem

If you are planning to buy a rental home, or you're thinking about what to do with one you have just acquired, this is the place for any questions about starting out in the rentals business.
bongolier

New owners with a bed problem

Post by bongolier »

Hello there from a newbie,

Just refurbished a small one-bedroom property. We need to put in a zip-link bed into the bedroom.

This will give us an option for sleeping arrangements. Our market (in our opinion) is couples, couples with dog(s) and perhaps a couple of golfers.

Offering double or twin seems way to go.

However, the bedroom isn't huge and we are struggling to work out what to do about headboards.

To release floor space, we are looking at IKEA units which are 28cm deep, enough for lamp above bed and book storage at side.

How does anyone else get round the headboard dilemma?

Appreciate any tips.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Quite a few owners are headboardless on this forum - although the Hotel Inspector would be horrified :wink: Do you have to have one?
Margaret

Post by Margaret »

We also have some small bedrooms and we solved this problem with wooden slatted headboards from Ikea. I seem to remember that they are not cheap but you can cut them down to any size - the width of the bed or the room and then stain or paint them any colour. I guess you could hang cushions from them too.
bongolier

Margaret

Post by bongolier »

Thanks both for getting back so quickly

My wife not keen on the "headboardless" (is that in the Shorter Oxford Dictionary!!?) idea.

Margaret can you pm me photos to see how you have done this?

Alistair
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I think this is the sort of thing that Margaret is talking about.

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/70176312/
Margaret

Post by Margaret »

Yes, thanks Helen, that's the one. We have never used the shelves. you can see them in use here in the 2 double bedrooms. (Have never really got the hang of the link thingy!)

http://www.bavarian-forest-holidays.com ... sumava.php
Ju

Post by Ju »

We have built a tongue and groove "headboard" against the wall. It is the width of the 2 beds plus the 2 bedside tables. When made as twins the bedside tables go on the inside.

starcana

Post by starcana »

we have a zip link in our bedroom and we have two waxed pine headboards so they can be used together or singly (never had to use them as singles yet). Got them from a pine shop and they seem to be fairly standard for those super king size beds.
pepsipuss

Post by pepsipuss »

In three of our bedrooms we have separatable (definitely not in the OED) beds and we have cushions on poles. The poles are long enough that the cushions can be pushed apart when used as twin. We don't usually push them far enough to put the tables between because there is plenty of space for a bedside table on each side but if space were tight the pole would just have to be a bit longer to make that possible.
For true domestic harmony it is essential that dogs know their place, which is below all cats

LMH Accommodation Offers Report
www.villa-rental-andalucia.com
http://www.fincalaserenidad.com
bongolier

Thanks everyone

Post by bongolier »

Hi there,

Thanks for all the suggestions. We shuffled room about and think we've come up with a solution.

Now we need to find suitable beds.

As we're starting out - there are a million and one questions to ask - you'll, no doubt, hear from me in very near future.

Alistair
bentisdall

Bed suggestion

Post by bentisdall »

If the room isn't huge I suggest you get a Queen sized zip-link bed. The one we got for our London flat splits into 2 x 2ft 6in singles or zips together into one large double. The vinyl covered headboard is in two halves too. I found the bed online and it was delivered very promptly.
bongolier

Post by bongolier »

I had thought of the Queen size, but was worried that the 2ft 6" singles would be too narrow for adults???
bentisdall

They're wider than you might think...

Post by bentisdall »

bongolier wrote:I had thought of the Queen size, but was worried that the 2ft 6" singles would be too narrow for adults???
Well we've had no complaints (and most of the time it's used as a double anyway).
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

bongolier wrote:I had thought of the Queen size, but was worried that the 2ft 6" singles would be too narrow for adults???
A standard UK single is 3 ft, so if a bed was advertised as a single then that's what I'd expect. A bed that's only 2'6" is a "small single". Some adults might find that acceptable; I certainly wouldn't - but then maybe I'm bigger than average :oops: