Problems in Calais

For topics that are specific to France, please go here.
Dusty

Problems in Calais

Post by Dusty »

Our present guests are due to leave tomorrow (Sat) travelling to Calais and then home via Eurotunnel. They are concerned that they could get all the way to Calais only to find that they can't get on the train due to the problems with the port. Eurotunnel are saying that trains are running normally and there shouldn't be any delays, but they are still concerned. Does anyone know of any websites that have got up to date information that could help them with their decision?
DebsPlace

Post by DebsPlace »

My friend recommends Twitter, she's had great communications with the ferry company prior to her journey today, so it might be worth your guests contacting them via Twitter to see what the latest is.
I'm getting slightly madder, each and every day!
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

I can not believe the chaos the French seem to happily create during holiday periods. The air traffic control is bad enough but to see the huge tail backs on the M20 (and no doubt in Calais) and tires being burned on the rails of the Eurotunnel is shocking.

On top of all the bad publicity regarding the migrants, will it have an effect on people choosing that route in the future?

Mouse
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
DebsPlace

Post by DebsPlace »

Problems in Roscoff too! a friend posted an article about an old couple who found an illegal immigrant in their camper van when they got back to Dover!!! It's a nightmare this year travelling to & from France 😒
Dusty

Post by Dusty »

Thanks all for your replies, our guests left this morning, hoping for the best, I see that there was more problems last night with immigrants trying to storm the chunnel, seems to be sorted out now though. Hopefully they don't run into too many problems.
GRL

Post by GRL »

Mine decided to switch to the Newhaven to Dieppe ferry just in case. The Dad works in the road freight business and said the whole shenanigans at Calais is really affecting his industry.
Bassman

Post by Bassman »

Rosie wrote:Mine decided to switch to the Newhaven to Dieppe ferry just in case. The Dad works in the road freight business and said the whole shenanigans at Calais is really affecting his industry.
If it continues im sure it will affect all of us, i feel France is already becoming less popular with the Brits and problems at Calais and the ATC strike will make things worse! even with the strength of the pound against the Euro.
DebsPlace

Post by DebsPlace »

+ 1 Bassman
French Cricket

Post by French Cricket »

The trouble is that it's an EU problem, not specifically a French one, and the EU is like a limp lettuce. Plus ... the UK is contributing only a tiny proportion of the cost of dealing with would-be migrants.

So I agree it's ugly, but it's a lot more complicated than just 'the French making things difficult'.

BTW, the latest ATC strike was called off.
Bassman

Post by Bassman »

For me there are 2 issues, Firstly the immigrants which is an EU/world problem which is very complicated & pretty much unsolvable at the moment. Secondly and most importantly for us the strikes, i cant believe a few strikers can disrupt a whole country, ruin thousands of peoples holiday, destroy peoples businesses and damage the countries tourism industry with impunity.
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

Secondly and most importantly for us the strikes, i cant believe a few strikers can disrupt a whole country, ruin thousands of peoples holiday, destroy peoples businesses and damage the countries tourism industry with impunity.
They have such a reputation for it sadly.

Interestingly the guests (mum, dad and teenagers with friends) I have checked in today are first time visitors to Ibiza and told me they have always holidayed in France. Reasons they have changed include the hassle factor with the ferries (along with 2 other reasons)

Mouse
x
Bassman

Post by Bassman »

Mouse wrote:
Secondly and most importantly for us the strikes, i cant believe a few strikers can disrupt a whole country, ruin thousands of peoples holiday, destroy peoples businesses and damage the countries tourism industry with impunity.
They have such a reputation for it sadly.

Interestingly the guests (mum, dad and teenagers with friends) I have checked in today are first time visitors to Ibiza and told me they have always holidayed in France. Reasons they have changed include the hassle factor with the ferries (along with 2 other reasons)

Mouse
x

What are they mouse?

:cry: :x
DebsPlace

Post by DebsPlace »

A lot of my repeat guests are shocked at the price rises in what they see as poor quality supermarket food & just can't understand restaurants that can't be bothered opening!
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

Funnily enough bassman, as debs mentioned, they thought that value for money was poor.....but mainly their children got bored with France, not enough to interest them. They lobbied for somewhere else to holiday, hence Ibiza.
It was also interesting that we just met them during a stroll around the village and they were amazed at the faciliies in a small place (so many restaurants and patisseries)

They didn't say where in France they holidayed but had been going there since the children were small.

Hope Ibiza suits them :?

Mousie
x
Last edited by Mouse on Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DebsPlace

Post by DebsPlace »

Another thing families mention to me Mouse is how little there is to do and once again the prices! It takes up a lot of our time trying to find interesting places to recommend that don't involve sheep or corn 😔