To leave or to throw away?

Come for a relaxed chat about anything at all and meet your fellow rental owners.
PW in Polemi

To leave or to throw away?

Post by PW in Polemi »

At the cottage, in the cupboard in the family bathroom, I leave an assortment of toiletries abandoned by previous guests - shower gel, after sun, pantie liners (!), hair mousse - and have a note in the house book telling current guests to help themselves to anything useful. Thus, if they run out of whatever, they may not need to buy and possibly abandon a full bottle of whatever. Just me trying to be helpful.

However, I noticed today that the previous guest has left an almost new tube of toothpaste.

I'm torn between not being wasteful, and being hygienic.

Should I leave the tube there, or bin it on hygiene grounds? Trying to put myself into the position of being a newly arrived guest who forgot the toothpaste, I think I'd just squeeze a dollop into the bin, then use the rest - but is that what guests do these days? Or would they just go "eeeeew yuk!"
Dogs have masters. Cats have slaves!
rammy100

Post by rammy100 »

Bin it in my view. I'm a bit squeamish about such things and, as a guest, I wouldn't be too impressed at opened toothpaste left in the cupboard.

Slight threadcreep but it reminds me of a recent train trip when I had a huge bottle of water for my journey. A fellow passenger asked if she could have some water for her two thirsty young kids. I had no option but to oblige and the kids just drank from the bottle I had been using (I couldn't believe she would encourage her kids to drink from a stranger's bottle) and then returned it to me. Needless to say I didn't touch it again.
Here we go again........
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

I bin any unused toiletries or personal items. As a freshly arrived guest you have no way of knowing how long these things have been kicking around. A guest earlier this year left a magnifying make up mirror on a stand and I have put that in the cupboards under the bathroom sinks but all cosmetic items get chucked.
Marks

Post by Marks »

All binned. Leave nothing.
Some guests just need a sympathetic pat. On the head. With a hammer.
jenboyle1959

Post by jenboyle1959 »

I take them home for my own family to use. I'm not squeamish in the least, and shampoo and shower gel are hardly likely to be carrying the plague. Toothpaste... I'd probably squeeze some in the bin then use it myself.
French Cricket

Post by French Cricket »

jenboyle1959 wrote:I take them home for my own family to use. I'm not squeamish in the least, and shampoo and shower gel are hardly likely to be carrying the plague. Toothpaste... I'd probably squeeze some in the bin then use it myself.
Absolutely. I'm not in the least ashamed to say that we never throw away anything left by guests. Why would we do something so wasteful when things can be used by us? I honestly don't understand why people are so fearful of anything touched by someone else!
bessie

Post by bessie »

Same here I take home unused soap,bubble bath not sure if I would take home toothpaste that had been used .
I leave full size bubble bath etc and guests always use just a small amount.
French Cricket

Post by French Cricket »

Well, no, I wouldn't take home toothpaste that had been used either.

But I don't know how they'd get it back into the tube afterwards.
bessie

Post by bessie »

French Cricket wrote:Well, no, I wouldn't take home toothpaste that had been used either.

But I don't know how they'd get it back into the tube afterwards.
Very funny :lol: yes I worded it wrong should have said the remàining un used toothpaste in the tube.
Please deposit your used toothpaste in the jar for recycling . :lol:
French Cricket

Post by French Cricket »

:lol:
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

I have had an odds and sods box for years where I put left over shampoo, sun lotion, razor blades etc as I hate to see waste. I do always check them for best before dates.
Guests have actually commented saying it saved them buying more stuff when they've run out but wouldn't need a full bottle to get them through to the end if their holiday.

In the case of your toothpaste I would chuck it in. If it wasn't used then so be it. People don't have to use them, but they're there if they do. They know they are all 2nd hand (or 'donated by previous guests' as I put it) so wouldn't look in it if they averse to that sort of thing.

At the end of the season those that are usable still will go to food charity as they've also requested any spare items like shampoo, lotions etc. I suppose when you can't afford to buy these things you're grateful for half empty supplies. There are a lot of families struggling here.

I see it as recycling :D
A compost heap of toiletries :lol:

Mousie
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
Essar

Post by Essar »

+1 BIN EM and then wash your hands :)
"Write something, even if it's just a suicide note"
"There is no human problem which could not be solved if people would simply do as I advise"
"As for my amnesia, I've had it as long as I can remember"
pambon

Post by pambon »

I wondered about this last year on finding an almost untouched tube of toothpaste. I binned it!