And a Courier Scam that's currently happening

Post scam emails to warn other rental owners, or if you are not sure if an enquiry is genuine, put it up here and see what others think.
The Stig

And a Courier Scam that's currently happening

Post by The Stig »

This was on Watchdog the other night, the two part scam. A well known MP was very nearly caught with this one. Now, we know they're not tops in the brain department, but even so......

You receive a card saying a company tried to deliver a parcel today, with a number to call, and that there will be a second delivery charge of £2.50, which you can either pay in person, or call in at their depot (in the center of London!) Naturally being curious/excited at getting a parcel, you telephone and, albeit grudgingly, cough up the £2.50, which is a very small sum. Naturally, your bank account / credit card is then relieved of whatever sum they can get. Some people had lost £1000s.

But that's not the end of it. The money they get from the bank accounts, or the credit card details, they then use to place full page, full colour adverts in daily newspapers advertising goods that we all need, vacuum cleaners, electrical goods, etc, at vastly discounted prices.

And guess what? They never arrive.
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

A well known MP was very nearly caught with this one. Now, we know they're not tops in the brain department, but even so......
He wasnt actually an MP, but probably likes to think he was[and probably made more decisions than the real one].

Good warning though.. :wink:
TTP mk2

Re: And a Courier Scam that's currently happening

Post by TTP mk2 »

The Stig wrote:Some people had lost £1000s.
Have they never heard of a Chargeback then ?
The Stig

Post by The Stig »

TTP mk2 wrote:
The Stig wrote:Some people had lost £1000s.
Have they never heard of a Chargeback then ?
Yes, they probably got refunded under banking code, but I am only stating what I saw on TV. It's the second part of the scam that's the most concerning, because there is no protection against that at all
TTP mk2

Post by TTP mk2 »

The Stig wrote:It's the second part of the scam that's the most concerning, because there is no protection against that at all
Sorry, you've lost me, no protection for who ?
The Stig

Post by The Stig »

[quote="TTP mk2Sorry, you've lost me, no protection for who ?[/quote]

Well, thinking about it I guess consumers can use the charge back on this, too, but it's the consumer that ends up paying for all the fraud at the end of the day, isn't it?
Beanie

Post by Beanie »

Stig, thanks for posting about this. I hadn't heard of this scam so good to know about.

Beanie
The Stig

Post by The Stig »

Beanie wrote:Stig, thanks for posting about this. I hadn't heard of this scam so good to know about.

Beanie
Well, I'm pretty cute when it comes to getting caught-but I think my natural curiosity would have beaten me on this one!