Enquiry from OD

Post scam emails to warn other rental owners, or if you are not sure if an enquiry is genuine, put it up here and see what others think.
James3214

Enquiry from OD

Post by James3214 »

Anyone else received this one on Owners Direct?

The full payment is been remitted since it is a sponsored trip and our sponsors will pay the xxx€. Also may i inform you that the whole trip package is for 1,500€ from our sponsors, and i must be assured by you that our funds will be safe with you pending our arrival, since they intend to make only 1 payment
I await your email soon
FATIMA ABUBAKAR
GOLDEN SANDS
AL MINA ROAD
BUR DUBAI, DUBAI
UAE
TEL: 00971 5590 14575
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

This is one of my big gripes with OD, they delay enquiries to vet them for spam and scams. I have asked that they let me decide and send the enquiry as soon as it comes in..........they said no, not possible. If this gets through their radar :shock: I dread to think how many genuine bookings have been lost!
Cheers
PC
James3214

Post by James3214 »

The initial enquiry probably looks genuine to OD but it did raise my suspicions immediately though.

> Please confirm the vacation home in west flanders, belgium is available for the period stipulated and also confirm all the costs.
> My family and i will be coming in from Dubai, UAE for a 2 weeks vacation

Not really impressed with OD so far. One enquiry from someone asking where it is in relation to Kent and this one scam.
pepsipuss

Post by pepsipuss »

James3214 wrote:The initial enquiry probably looks genuine to OD but it did raise my suspicions immediately though.

> Please confirm the vacation home in west flanders, belgium is available for the period stipulated and also confirm all the costs.
> My family and i will be coming in from Dubai, UAE for a 2 weeks vacation
How could OD's filters possibly have missed all the clues especially lack of specifics on house 'the vacation home in west flanders, belgium' is a dead give-away for starters.
For true domestic harmony it is essential that dogs know their place, which is below all cats

LMH Accommodation Offers Report
www.villa-rental-andalucia.com
http://www.fincalaserenidad.com
James3214

Post by James3214 »

Using Paul's guide on this thread to trace the IP of an email address I have traced it back to Nigeria!

Worth bearing in mind if you need to validate an enquiry.

41.219.201.109 NIGERIA LAGOS LAGOS 6.453
3.396 - +01:00
Net Speed ISP Domain
DIAL ASSIGNED TO LAGOS DIAL-POOL CUSTOMERS
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

James3214 wrote: I have traced it back to Nigeria
Are you listening OD?
Cheers
PC
James3214

Post by James3214 »

Paul Carmel wrote:
James3214 wrote: I have traced it back to Nigeria
Are you listening OD?
Well. They were to me. Shame they aren't able to recognise how it is addressed though.

Thank you for your email.
This e-mail is a scam (Good afternoon Sir / Ma is an opening to be wary of). We will add the e-mail to our list of blocked addresses. Many thanks for sending this on to us - we do screen e-mail enquiries for scams before they go out but the odd one does get through, as in this case. Unfortunately hundreds of these can come through every week, sometimes hundreds in a day. We are aware of what to look for and delete them before they are sent out - for the odd ones that do get through, it can be difficult for owners to recognise a scam in isolation. Therefore if you are ever unsure of an enquiry, please do send it on to us for our opinion.
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

I for one would like to lessen the load on the poor overworked folk at OD, in return all I ask is to get our enquiries or scams in real time and decide for myself.
Cheers
PC