"Dr" David Francis

Post scam emails to warn other rental owners, or if you are not sure if an enquiry is genuine, put it up here and see what others think.
Mountain Goat

"Dr" David Francis

Post by Mountain Goat »

He's doing the rounds at the moment, looking for 2 month rentals, no real interest in rental cost nor any of the usual questions.

The only slightly unusual difference was below the signature:

Sent from my BlackBerry®

I got taken in with his first enquiry. Several references via Google as coming from an IP address in Nigeria, but he came via RocketMail out of London.

MG
Dotty

Post by Dotty »

I should have included this info I got from pureholidayhomes this morning re Derik & Michael and Richard Quest

''We have also initiated an agreement with other such holiday rental websites to share information on bogus email enquiries and have since learnt that any correspondence from a David Francis (dr_david1144@rocketmail.com) should also be ignored and deleted. ''

So he's also known to pureholidayhomes and other rental listing sites - it seems its a prelude to initiating direct email contact and phishing scams to hack email & bank accounts!
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

His Google record (if it's him) shows he's into the traditional overpayment thing, but maybe he's learning.

I wonder if these guys ever Google themselves?

MG
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

He is now trolling round MedWelcome.com
Cheers
PC
Little Villa

Post by Little Villa »

We received this enquiry via 'Croatia Holiday & Home' where we have a listing. When I read it through I realised I had seen 'the doctor' before on here. Gin

Time : 06. 03. 2010., 11:57

Name of Party Leader: David Francis
Address: 121 Madie Lane
Santa Rosa Beach, Fl 32459
USA
Postcode: 32459
Telephone: +1386-490-1783
Email: dr.david1100@rocketmail.com
--------------------------------
No of people: 2
Arrival date: 2010/06/01
Departure date: 2010/07/30
--------------------------------
Suitability:

Notes:
Hello ,
David from florida state and i will like to know if your property is available from :
Checking Date : 1 june 2010
Checkout Date 30th July 2010
2 Adults : 0 children
Let me know if the property is available or not and don\'\'t forget to include the prices if the property is available
Thanks
+1386-490-1783
Sent from my BlackBerry®
allanspence

Post by allanspence »

This one received through Cottages Direct enquiry form this morning so have advised them.

Name Dr David Francis
Email dr.david1144@gmail.com
Telephone +13864901783
Address Florida

Postcode 32459
Date 1/6/2010
Nights 21
Party size 2 (Adults), 0 (Children), 0 (Infants)
Message Hello ,
David from florida state and i will like to know if your property is available from :
Checking Date : 1 june 2010
Checkout Date 30th July 2010
2 Adults : 0 children
Let me know if the property is available or not and don''t forget to include the prices if the property is available
Thanks
+1386-490-1783
Sent from my BlackBerry®

Regards to all
Allan Spence
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

You could pass him on to abuse @ gmail.com - they act pretty quickly. You'll need to send full headers as well, which depends on your email system. It looks as though he's changing his email address fairly frequently to keep ahead of the shutdowns.

It's more satisfying to let him have an unhindered week of sending his garbage out, and then shop him in.....:lol:

MG
allanspence

Post by allanspence »

The email did not come to me from the gmail address though so I usually only report ones which come through a listing site enquiry form to the listing site. I don't know about gmail but yahoo simply hid behind the fact that the dodgy email had not come through them even though theirs was the reply address.
Regards
Allan
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Yahoo might have been correct, of course. Very often they appear to use a false email address for sending, and ask you to reply to another address.

That's maybe a simple way they've devised to stop us getting the accounts terminated.

MG
Penda

Dr David Francis

Post by Penda »

This gentleman wanted to rent my Coach House and seemed happy to pay whatever rent I charged without asking too many questions. He wanted to send me a cheque for far more than I required and gave instructions that excess funds should be transferred by Western Union to another man in London. I have passed this matter to the police.

I am advised that this is a common method of fraud, but I was very nearly deceived. :?
Keen to learn
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

Glad you have found us Penda, Take a look at the stickies at the top of this section of the forum.
Cheers
PC
linda147

Post by linda147 »

I had this guy make an enquiry today through Rentability (my first ever enquiry from them I got quite excited :lol: )
What was really good though was that at the top of the enquiry was a warning that this person had made 138 recent enquiries! There was an option to check where the enquiry originated from on Rentability's website and guest where - Nigeria!
This is obviously an automated warning system and if Rentability can do it why can't the big boys? :?
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

He's busy today, isn't he? Using this email with us, and 3 enquiries:

dr_david1144 @ymail.com

Maybe give me another couple of days at the keyboard and then shop him in to ymail?

I like the little Nigerian flag you get on Rentability...

MG
kendalcottages

Post by kendalcottages »

I assume this is a PhD is BS that he has...? :roll:
Kendal Holiday Cottages Ltd., Kendal, Cumbria - between the Lake District & the Yorkshire Dales.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

There's some reply thing at Rentability which is replying to his address in our name, and the messages are bouncing as unknown.

Are you getting this? We haven't replied to the Doc.

MG