Longer term rental

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
Westie

Longer term rental

Post by Westie »

I'm new to this forum, but have read it over the last two years as it is amazingly helpful. No matter how I try I always seem to come across a new problem every season, and so I look on here to see if anyone else has experienced what I have, and also to look for advice on what to do!

We usually run catered ski holidays in our own chalet during the winter, but we've had an enquiry for a 2 to 3 month rental for the inter-season months. We would be back in the UK during this period.

If this did go ahead, I know I need to get a rental agreement drawn up with a Notaire. However, is there anything I should watch out for here. I believe French law (as with most things French) is complicated and rental agreements are, I think, weighted heavily in favour of the tenants. Could I be asking for trouble letting my propery out for this amount of time. I suppose we would have to ask for bank references too. It could all be fine, but I am still a bit wary of this. The additional income would be more than welcome but I dont want to take a huge risk and find my locks changed, my furniture sold, my house turned into a brothel etc......

Any help appreciated greatly. Thanks so much.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Not sure a 3 month rental would be classed as a long term let, so you may be OK. It may be possible to do it as a holiday rental instead, but I'm not an expert on this.
Westie

Post by Westie »

Thanks Helen for your response. I think the time, maybe 3 months, could be an issue. Renting a place over 90 days might give tenants a right to stay longer is what I've heard. We'll see.....