Advice/opinions needed

Post scam emails to warn other rental owners, or if you are not sure if an enquiry is genuine, put it up here and see what others think.
Biffa Beercan

Advice/opinions needed

Post by Biffa Beercan »

I got this enquiry yesterday:
I am making enquiries on behalf of friends who will be coming from USA. The date is approximate and would be pleased to receive more details and prices etc on the accommodation. I saw this on Owners Direct Website.
And decided to check out the IP as it was an enquiry for a year in advance, also it was from a yahoo email address.
The result from the IP was:
172.30.6.251 - - - - PRIVATE IP ADDRESS LAN
I sent details of prices etc and asked what type of info she wanted to which the reply was:
Thank you for your reply. As I said in my initial enquiry it was for 2 friends from USA for next May. I have forwarded the details to them and as soon as I hear from them I will let you know. They do not know the exact date of arrival. Do you have a brochure of the cottage that I could send to them?
Thanks again for your reply.
Now apart from the early enquiry and strange IP details it does seem OK, does it set any alarm bells ringing for anyone?

[/quote]
James3214

Post by James3214 »

Personally, I'd ignore it. I tend to get a lot of these vague requests and any I don't get enough information I just ignore them or occasionally email them back using a different email address to fish them out. Sometimes, it has been vacation websites getting my email address and contact information so they can call me with the hard sell.
I could be wrong, but I can't be bothered anymore. Most of my business comes from the German market anyway.
Margaret

Post by Margaret »

So far, I can't see anything remotely suspicious about the enquiry. Also, it is not at all uncommon for people to book more than a year in advance and some Americans plan very early.
Biffa Beercan

Post by Biffa Beercan »

I've decided to carry on the correspondence and see how it goes. I'll probably get a better feel for this enquiry as it progresses.
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

It is a bit odd -- I've had inquiries from agents on behalf of people, but never someone on behalf of a friend -- but it's not so odd that I would completely dismiss it. I'd probably keep going until I was a) asked for my passport, b) asked for the exact property address, or c) asked for a wire transfer.
Brooke
Normandy Cow

Post by Normandy Cow »

Maybe they are people who live in your region and cannot accommodate their friends themselves?
I have certainly done this myself for friends/cousins coming to the UK from Switzerland to see us and visit London at the same time.
Chippy

Post by Chippy »

Reminds me of a couple of individuals who turned out to be agents/after commission for themselves when apparently enquiring on behalf of "friends".
The brochure request especially rings agency bells
Musetta

Post by Musetta »

I get these sometimes and most are not scams! i.e. people coming in for a wedding or visiting family in the area or meeting up with friends from all over -had one set of guests coordinating a trip for friends scattered...some in the UK, some in NY, some in Australia, etc. and, where there's a large group, vague dates are the norm when you have to confirm with everyone.

Actually...now that I think about it...I sent a similar one myself recently!! Trying to coordinate a trip for 15-25 people to Italy (!) and have a few different dates in mind, but wanted to see what the availability looked like before I told the group and found out if it worked for all!
petemcveigh

Post by petemcveigh »

I think I would take this at face value at this stage and proceed until & if, as was mentioned before, one of the 'alarm bell' statements (extra payment; account or passport details) comes up. I have a mate who loves travel and loves internet searching so regularly becomes an 'unofficial personal shopper'!

Never reject a rental opportunity too early!!

Pete