Spell checker

To suggest improvements and additions to the forum, or ask about technical difficulties using the forum.
enid

Post by enid »

That's xhat I do - but ,of course , I miss some. I like the spelling mistakes on the forum. I agree with Alan that language needs protecting but it depends on the audience - here it's the ideas that count and I can endure the spelling errors - someone else pointed out that there's a differennce between typing and spelling errors - all mine are typing errors!!!!!!
debk

Post by debk »

paolo wrote: But doesn't anyone else do what I do - type something, then read it back for errors and make the corrections myself? You know, the old-fashioned way.
Me, me!

That's why my posts are full of errors. :oops:

(Hi, Centime... long time no post!)

While we're on the topic, my father-in-law -- who changed his name to the phonetic Chuk -- co-founded this... and PLEASE do not get him started on it. :roll:

Better Education Through Simplified Spelling
http://www.spellingsociety.org/journals/j12/betss.php

No, it's not a joke.
enid

Post by enid »

My Mum was part of the UK experiment with ITA - Initial Teaching Alphabet which followed the same principles. One day after school my father arrived to pick her up and as she collected her things he read what she had written on the blackboard - Hou nies (How Nice) - he translated this as hoo nees and forever afterwards, when anyone asked him his opinion of something, he always said 'hoo nees'.
debk

Post by debk »

when anyone asked him his opinion of something, he always said 'hoo nees'.

beautiful! :lol: :lol: :lol:
centime

Post by centime »

Enid: yes typing or tired mistakes, there are times of the day before the first morning espresso that I cannot spell and or do anything else 100% :? and plus dna is not wrong On the Internet it is all about communication so I think correctly spelled text just allows the reader to understand us quicker in this fast communication medium. Regarding artistic expression there are some wonderful examples from Tudor times and before with different spelling variations that are absolutely lyrical, but do take time to work out the meaning. In those bygone times, however clarity was still an issue, that is why from Elizabeth the First of England and down, everyone was taught the beautiful script method of writing, my 98 year old aunt was still given this instruction in the Scottish school curriculum of her day. Just thank God we don't have to read all our handwriting :?: in the posts!
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

Come on Paolo give this poor lad a spell checker.

I think his input could be important!!
Cheers
PC
paolo

Post by paolo »

Paul,

I think now we are finally seeing the real you in your avatar. Am I right?
Paolo
Lay My Hat
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

I think now we are finally seeing the real you in your avatar

wot u sayin me is buck tooth or wot
Cheers
PC
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

How about:

www.iespell.com ?

Goat
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Mountain Goat wrote:How about:

www.iespell.com ?

Goat
It looks awfully good. Have you tried it?

I usually compose and spell check long messages in MS Word and then copy and paste. It's very easy and straightforward but iespell could be even better.

Alan
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

No, my speling's perfect.

We know and savour Brit/US differences, but they have an option for Canadian eccentricities. What's that about?
Goat