Telephone enquiry about 1 months let

Post scam emails to warn other rental owners, or if you are not sure if an enquiry is genuine, put it up here and see what others think.
Biffa Beercan

Telephone enquiry about 1 months let

Post by Biffa Beercan »

I've just had a phone call from a lady who wants to hire our house for a month. She said she has just left her husband and she lives in a village about 8 miles away and needs somewhere to stay locally until she finds somewhere to live permanently.

I'm not sure whether this could be a scam, she sounded quite respectable, not Nigerian :-) and she is in her fifties.

I'm also not sure where we would stand having someone stay there not for holiday purposes but actually living there without a place to go to after the let. Could she claim squatter's rights or refuse to leave at the end of the let.

All advice would be very useful thanks!
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

It is still a holiday let if they stay less than 31 days I think. No tenants rights or anything.
pambon

Post by pambon »

Some time back I read an article about a similar situation and the property owner still had the occupant there after 6 years and was having big difficulties in getting rid of him.

Be Careful.................
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

A well-known Lay My hatter is staying in holiday accommodation at the moment while she completes the purchase of her new house.
pambon

Post by pambon »

HelenB, a LMH'er is a different kettle of fish....... :)
Rocket Rab

Post by Rocket Rab »

A well-known Lay My hatter is staying in holiday accommodation at the moment while she completes the purchase of her new house.

Can we have a Guess Who thread? :lol:
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Can we have a Guess Who thread?
Oh yes........ cos I think Ive guessed :wink: :D

Id be a little cautious Billy, but it doesnt sound too iffy to me, Ive had quite a few month lets with no problems.
pepsipuss

Post by pepsipuss »

It doesn't sound like a scam but the bit that might worry me is that 'she needs somewhere to stay locally while she finds somewhere to live permanently'.

How easy will this be for her? A month doesn't sound very long for such a search....
For true domestic harmony it is essential that dogs know their place, which is below all cats

LMH Accommodation Offers Report
www.villa-rental-andalucia.com
http://www.fincalaserenidad.com
Biffa Beercan

Post by Biffa Beercan »

We've declined the booking. She wanted to pay around £600 for the month where a normal months income in June/July would be £1400.
I know it seems cruel but we're not a charity.
I seem to think that our insurance wouldn't cover a non-holiday booking too. We thought it wouldn't be worth the risk.
barbersdrove

Post by barbersdrove »

A workman rang me recently and offered £250 for a months stay!!!! He thought I would jump at it as 'it would be a guaranteed income for the month'. He wanted May which was fully booked anyway but was very shirty when I explained I would not let the property for a month at this time of year unless the full holiday amount was paid.
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

Biffa Beercan wrote:We've declined the booking. She wanted to pay around £600 for the month where a normal months income in June/July would be £1400.
I know it seems cruel but we're not a charity.
I seem to think that our insurance wouldn't cover a non-holiday booking too. We thought it wouldn't be worth the risk.
I think you're well out of it.
pepsipuss

Post by pepsipuss »

I agree with GB - and I don't think you should feel a bit guilty: you are right that you are not a charity and there is no reason why anyone should expect you to offer such a deal regardless of circumstances.
For true domestic harmony it is essential that dogs know their place, which is below all cats

LMH Accommodation Offers Report
www.villa-rental-andalucia.com
http://www.fincalaserenidad.com