Dr Piette Thomas

Post scam emails to warn other rental owners, or if you are not sure if an enquiry is genuine, put it up here and see what others think.
Zoot

Dr Piette Thomas

Post by Zoot »

Looks as if another one has emerged from the swamp, via Holiday Vacation Rentals. Poor English and wants a month in September or 12 months rental.
Z
Eileen2

Post by Eileen2 »

I have also received the same enquiry...France and now Greece...crikey this swampy gets around.
wonderland

piette thomas

Post by wonderland »

What can you tell me about this character? How do we know for sure that it is a scam? I have spoken to h im on the phone but his English is not good and he cut the call short by telling me to email him. He then said his wife was sending me a cheque which would arrive on Monday but it has not turned up yet. Correspondence by email has been going on now for about 3 weeks.

If he does send the cheque for a 9 month stay in our holiday house in Burgundy and the cheque goes through, what is the scam? Is there some kind of identity theft thing he can do? We would let it to him with a short term tenancy agreement so that he could not stay there longer than he should. Although he is an elusive, very foreign individual I fail to see how this is a scam but would be grateful if anyone could tell me if and why I am being so gullible.
wondering
James3214

Post by James3214 »

It sounds like it has all the makings of a scam. 9 month let? really? Don't forget they will first and gain your trust.

Check the advice about scams in this thread
viewtopic.php?t=2690

I wouldn't touch them with a bargepole if I was you.
Zoot

Post by Zoot »

Just put 'Piette Thomas' and 'scam' in Google, that should put you off!
wonderland

Piette Thomas

Post by wonderland »

:P Thanks everyone for the invaluable advice. I am hoping he has gone away now. I received a bank draft cheque from him for 10,000 euros from Deutsche Bank and am having it checked out with the fraud dept of Deutsche bank and asking their advice as to how best to get rid of it. Have had two very brief phone calls with PT different voices on each occasion and I was cut off as soon as I asked for references!! Just hoping they won't come to get me.
wondering
Zoot

Post by Zoot »

it's that man again! Just received this; couldn't even get the name right:
Hi Laurent,
Really don't mean to inconvenience you right now but am sorry, I made a quick trip to Madrid and we lost our Bags that contains our passports, cell phone and credit cards. I know this may sound odd, but it all happened very fast. I ve been to the Embassy, they're willing to help us fly without our passports but I have to pay for ticket and I'm out of cash and you know I can't have access to my bank without my credit card over here. I have contacted my bank but they need more verification and time wasting as well for the past 24hours. Please, Can you lend me some funds right now? I'll pay you as soon as I get home. I need to get on the next available flight home. Please reply as soon as you get this message if you can help me out with me i will so much appreciate this.you can send 600Euros by western union and use the details below.you can do it online log on to www.westernunion.com,as soon as we returned back home we pay you back.Please..

Dr Piette Thomas
Caalle Ruiz de Alarcónn Madrid
28014 Madrid
Spain.