Not obviously a scam but...

Post scam emails to warn other rental owners, or if you are not sure if an enquiry is genuine, put it up here and see what others think.
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Agree. Let's see what his reply is but meanwhile, try this? http://www.geobytes.com/IpLocator.htm?Getlocation

Later ... just had a play - both his email addresses trace back to California: Mountain View and Sunnyvale ... even then, didn't I read somewhere here that there is a clever way to divert your emails to another IP address? :?

There's this tool as well: http://whatismyipaddress.com/trace-email
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Normandie

Post by Normandie »

pete wrote:Would it be this one ????

<snip>

from Terry Martyn <jythr4356@gmail.com>
reply-to martyn_terry@yahoo.com
to villamanonauriol@yahoo.fr
date 8 August 2010 18:47
subject Demandes de renseignements concernant votre location vacances ...... s'il vous plaît répondre en anglais
Signed by gmail.com
hide details 18:47 (19 hours ago)
Bonjour Madame / Monsieur,

Comment allez-vous aujourd'hui? etc etc
Yep, that's precisely the one. And yes, like yours, it came in yesterday evening. Well, I won't be holding my breath for a response to my request for his address and phone nr (though a fake one wouldn't be exactly difficult to dream up).

I'll use the email tracker and see what I can come up with. Edited to add: and I came up with the same as GG. Though the timings of his correspondence with me would fit with US time zones. As well as other places in the world!

I see he also wrote to [email address deleted by admin] - from his email header.
chambrehotemanon.fr/
So that's Normandy, Sancerre and Provence. Very flexible!

Thanks all. I'll keep you informed. Happily, I've had another enquiry for the dates I had available for him so I'll see if I can convert the new enquiry before he gets back to me.
escape2charente

Post by escape2charente »

Hi,

His just tried to book with me, all the same details as above.

Got to be a scam.
Normandie

Post by Normandie »

So it would appear - I've not heard anything back this evening. Well. My first scam approach. I'm very proud. I feel as though I've really arrived on the b&b map. 8)

Thanks everyone for your input. It's appreciated.
Normandie

Post by Normandie »

And he's back.

With an address and phone number. The address is bogus because apart from the spelling of the road name, if I assume Hazelbourne Road there isn't one in sw195ns though there is one very near Clapham South tube station in SW12. I haven't bothered phoning the mobile number but apparently it's a Jersey, CI-issued mobile nr according to the Great God Google.

23 Hazaelebourne rd
Clapham South
London
sw195ns

+447700022863

I've asked for clarification of the spelling of the road name. For now.