Not sure if this is a scam or a time waster

Post scam emails to warn other rental owners, or if you are not sure if an enquiry is genuine, put it up here and see what others think.
Annew

Not sure if this is a scam or a time waster

Post by Annew »

I had a query for my last remaining August week. Punter gave me a telephone number and 2 email addresses and asked me to contact him any time day or night to confirm availability.

After a couple of emails back & forth he confirmed that he wanted to book and he would send me a building society cheque by special delivery. I'm not happy with building society cheques (a friend was victim of a fraud using fake cheques) and I was out of the country at the time, so couldn't sign for special delivery, so I asked the chap to make a direct transfer to my account - My own building society is able to do this and I presume others are - using the lateness of the booking as the reason.

I've heard nothing from this chap since, despite a couple of emails and the mobile number he gave me does not work.

Could just be someone wasting time.......but I have a feeling!
If you want to find me, Google The Barton Poughill!
kendalcottages

Post by kendalcottages »

Sounds like a scam to me...
Kendal Holiday Cottages Ltd., Kendal, Cumbria - between the Lake District & the Yorkshire Dales.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Yes, I know the uncomfortable feeling we get as the time gets nearer and you haven't filled the week. Never mind, there's still time for a genuine enquiry and I would definitely insist on a bank transfer. The banks are starting to up their game; I have had several transfers made now (within UK) that have gone through almost instantly.
joddle

Post by joddle »

Many bank are now using the new "instant transfer facility" which means the transfers get through inthe UK in just 2 hours - sometimes a lot less. Even transfers to OS banks are much more rapid. Several of mine recently from the UK to Spain have been made in just a few minutes.
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Thats interesting Joddle :!:

and could be useful, which banks particularly?
Lesblancs

Post by Lesblancs »

Virtually all of them BS. I only accept bank transfers to my UK bank account (easier as I am in France) and I have only had one payment all year which took 3 days, the rest were immediate.
Interestingly though I was able to do an immediate transfer to his bank to return the sec dep :roll:

Bobby
joddle

Post by joddle »

Big Sis.. wrote:Thats interesting Joddle :!:

and could be useful, which banks particularly?
Barclays and Halifax for sure - Lloyds I am pretty sure are the same - dont know about the others though although from the web and abouve post it seems all the big UK banks are now doing it.
barbersdrove

Post by barbersdrove »

I've had similar and directed him to book via our online booking system which takes the money straight away from their credit card. Nothing since!