Do I really need this?

Post scam emails to warn other rental owners, or if you are not sure if an enquiry is genuine, put it up here and see what others think.
greenbarn

Do I really need this?

Post by greenbarn »

Not really a scam, but highly cheeky. :evil: Had this just now from H-R. I've omitted the contact details, but I've no idea if it's even local to us. Enterprising or irritating? With an ounce more effort, he could've found the link to our website via H-R and emailed directly with a proper introduction of his services.

Enquiry Summary
Name: Nigel Whitley

Unit: The Carthouse - Dog Friendly
Total # in party: 0 (including children)
No of children: 0
Further info: Plumbit Property Maintenance offers all services from general plumbing, leaks, dripping taps, etc. Through to bathroom renovations, kitchen renovations, painting and decorating, plus full cleaning services. Emergency callouts.
kendalcottages

Post by kendalcottages »

I got that one too.

You get your hopes up from the HR subject line telling you you've got another enquiry, and then that. Ugh.

I see their van(s?) around Kendal. Stupid thing is, I'm now kind of put off using their service.
Kendal Holiday Cottages Ltd., Kendal, Cumbria - between the Lake District & the Yorkshire Dales.
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

kendalcottages wrote: Stupid thing is, I'm now kind of put off using their service.
Same here, so I must be stupid too! :lol:
Or maybe it's a crass way to advertise services.......
jayval

Post by jayval »

it will not appear that bad if he just emailed you directly with the appropriate subject line for his services. But using a rental inquiry form? :roll:
ccazes

Post by ccazes »

I have had e-mails of this sort and I admit it is disappointing when I realise they are not authentic enquiries.
But....on the other hand, it's a way of introducing one's self to local business as they would not have my e-mail otherwise and the beauty of an enquiry form means they don't have my real address to spam me constantly.
I have noted a few contacts who sent me a mail this way. I would certainly double-triple check their references before using them but it doesn't put me off considering them in the first place.
ccazes

Post by ccazes »

I have had e-mails of this sort and I admit it is disappointing when I realise they are not authentic enquiries.
But....on the other hand, it's a way of introducing one's self to local business as they would not have my e-mail otherwise and the beauty of an enquiry form means they don't have my real address to spam me constantly.
I have noted a few contacts who sent me a mail this way. I would certainly double-triple check their references before using them but it doesn't put me off considering them in the first place.
kendalcottages

Post by kendalcottages »

Why wouldn't it put you off? At the end of the day, they are spamming you...
Kendal Holiday Cottages Ltd., Kendal, Cumbria - between the Lake District & the Yorkshire Dales.
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

kendalcottages wrote:Why wouldn't it put you off? At the end of the day, they are spamming you...
Quite.

What gets me even more is that with a modicum of effort on their part, they could've found my own website via H-R, found my contact details and sent me a personalised email introducing their services (it would have got binned because I don't need those services, but if I'd thought I might then I'd have kept their details.) Rather than portraying an outfit with a bit of enterprise, the approach they've chosen instead tells me enough about their attitude to customers to put me straight off.

Negative effect marketing, then. Lesson in there somewhere!