Wintering in S Spain

For topics that are specific to Spain, please go here.
pepsipuss

Post by pepsipuss »

lorca wrote:Well if you do ever decide to venture down this way Pepsi, let me know :wink:

edit - you too Poquelin.... and we have our own pueblos blancos...
Thank you Lorca. I don't need asking twice but the OH thinks he is on holiday all the time and doesn't need to travel.... may have to do it with a girlfriend!
For true domestic harmony it is essential that dogs know their place, which is below all cats

LMH Accommodation Offers Report
www.villa-rental-andalucia.com
http://www.fincalaserenidad.com
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Sorry Lorca - got my genders wrong - shows how long it is since I've been down there.

Note to self - correct this omission asap. :roll:

Mols
Jumping is just dressage with speed-bumps.
lorca

Post by lorca »

Moliere wrote:Sorry Lorca - got my genders wrong

Mols
surely not :wink:
If not now, when?
Zoot

Post by Zoot »

pp; segundamano.es looks really interesting, similar format to the 'leboncoin' site that we have in France.
Can you confirm, MES = monthly and SEM=weekly ?
Gracias
pepsipuss

Post by pepsipuss »

Zoot wrote:pp; segundamano.es looks really interesting, similar format to the 'leboncoin' site that we have in France.
Gracias
Sí!!
For true domestic harmony it is essential that dogs know their place, which is below all cats

LMH Accommodation Offers Report
www.villa-rental-andalucia.com
http://www.fincalaserenidad.com
booboo

Post by booboo »

Hi Zoot, did you go? The reason I am asking is I just don't want to do another cold winter here or anywhere!

Don't know if we would want to buy yet, would rather rent for a winter or two first.
Zoot

Post by Zoot »

Went to Tenerife; brilliant! Swimming every day and cost of living more reasonable than mainland Spain.
booboo

Post by booboo »

WOW! Sounds wonderful... will have to look into it, can I ask was your accommodation expensive? I believe the winters are peak time in the Canaries?
Alvaro

Post by Alvaro »

Zoot wrote:pp; segundamano.es looks really interesting, similar format to the 'leboncoin' site that we have in France.
Gracias
Hi Zoot. Unfortunately spanish people ask and ask but never book. Plus (this is very important) they will always think they are going to be cheated. So you get first enquiries saying: I want to see the place before booking, I want to make sure is clean, how deep is the sea?, is it cold?. So be patient.

I also advertise in niumba and fotocasa. I did manage to get a booking from fotocasa from a lady from País Vasco but I had to write long, long emails explaining her why she couldn´t be cheated and how every webpage worked. Still she just reserved, the rest she sill pay when she arrives.

So, though market. Also they bargain to ridiculous amounts, try to write your rental contract, etc.

Edit: I just realised you don´t want to advert. Use spain-holiday or niumba. Spain-holiday asks for title deeds and niumba has a little badge saying verified owner.
Zoot

Post by Zoot »

Wow Alvaro sounds very frustrating. The only Spanish booking we've had at our property was a lovely family from Barcelona, with no issues!
Zoot

Post by Zoot »

Booboo; yes Winter is peak time in Tenerife but the rental was probably what you'd expect to pay in Summer on the French Mediterranean. You have to be careful where you choose to stay; the SW corner, Christianos and Playa Los Americas makes Benidorm look like a retirement home!
Badger

Post by Badger »

Zoot wrote:Booboo; yes Winter is peak time in Tenerife but the rental was probably what you'd expect to pay in Summer on the French Mediterranean. You have to be careful where you choose to stay; the SW corner, Christianos and Playa Los Americas makes Benidorm look like a retirement home!
After just coming back from a 4 month stay in Tenerife I can confirm it is indeed peak time.
With temperatures very frequently in mid 70's the island is full of (mainly) northern Europeans of an older age who want to get away from the cold winters, enjoy a healthy outdoor lifestyle and try absolutely anything they want to try, whether its long walks, soaking up the sun, visiting towns and rural areas, eating in local Canarian bars or just having fun, its all easily accessible by efficient bus service, whats there not to like?
Not sure about your comparison to Benidorm?? There are no afternoon tea dances or bingo in Tenerife (except licenced halls) but in the areas you mention you can either mingle and have fun or you can stay a little way out of town and have the peace and quiet if you want it.
I stay in Los Cristianos usually and dont really understand the statement about being careful where you choose to stay in that corner of Tenerife?
The older "swallows" are getting out and about there rather than sitting at home, where its going dark at 4pm.
Wish I was back there now. :cry:
booboo

Post by booboo »

Thanks Zoot and Badger!

Badger, do you know if it is possible to rent at a reasonable rate for a few months? We don't need to be in a very popular place or by the sea, in fact I would prefer to be away from the tourist areas.
Badger

Post by Badger »

booboo wrote:Thanks Zoot and Badger!

Badger, do you know if it is possible to rent at a reasonable rate for a few months? We don't need to be in a very popular place or by the sea, in fact I would prefer to be away from the tourist areas.
Yes I am sure you would find somewhere and rates are obviously far more reasonable away from the tourist spots.
I take it you would want a short term let rather than a holiday rental and this is usually for a min of 3 months onwards.
You could put your requirements on a couple of websites, www.janetanscombe.com or www.tenerifeforum.com
If Im not allowed to put their sites on here then apologies and if you care to send a PM instead I will answer you that way.
booboo

Post by booboo »

Thanks Badger! Yes, It would be only for approx. three months, just enough to get us away from the cold :D

Not too sure on the forum rules about posting these links but I think it would be ok as I asked for the information!
Thanks again