Toilet with macerator ("WC Broyeur")

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
Normandy Cow

Toilet with macerator ("WC Broyeur")

Post by Normandy Cow »

We are installing a shower room upstairs (in France) and are looking at all the possibilities.

I understand that if we install a "WC broyeur" we have more choice as to the positioning.

Does anyone have any advice/experience with these?

Thanks!
French Cricket

Post by French Cricket »

Experience? Yes. They're noisy, sensitive and nerve racking :shock:. One of ours literally exploded at 6.30 one morning, covering the guest, the room and the room behind (a library - it blew a hole in the plasterboard wall) in - erm - its contents. We were woken to the sight of guest wandering in a dazed fashion down the hall covered head to toe in - erm - contents.

Advice? Never again.

Though I may be a little biased.
Pmagowan

Post by Pmagowan »

Ha ha, that is very funny, sorry.

I have never had one but I would advise against on principle. More to go wrong and it is rare that you can't get a normal system in with a bit of thought. Sometimes raising the floor slightly works.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I wouldn't touch one with a bargepole for a holiday rental. I'm sure Wallypot will be along later to recount her experiences - and she isn't the only one to have had problems with them (or rather the guests incapacity to use them correctly).
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Friends had one in their main bathroom, very temperamental, very noisy,
Martha

Post by Martha »

We've got one in one bathroom. I hate the damn thing. Not recommended if you can possibly help it.
Chalet la Foret, Chamonix
Normandy Cow

Post by Normandy Cow »

OK, I guess that'll be a big NO then! :lol:

Thanks for all the advice guys, I'll shelve that idea... :D 8)
wallypott

Post by wallypott »

Like the others, cost more than they save, need replacing every 6 months which is invariably grim and NEVER AGAIN.
pepsipuss

Post by pepsipuss »

Just to add my vote. No personal experience but that of friends. If renting it is the one thing you can guarantee will be misused despite warning notices and threat of withholding of entire deposit - which in most cases is not enough to pay for all the damage/inconvenience.
For true domestic harmony it is essential that dogs know their place, which is below all cats

LMH Accommodation Offers Report
www.villa-rental-andalucia.com
http://www.fincalaserenidad.com
Normandy Cow

Post by Normandy Cow »

It's OK everyone, I'm steering well clear!

I went out to France last week to take measurements and try to work out how we were going to fit a shower and toilet into the tiniest possible space under the eaves. Went to Lapeyre and Castorama and was horrified at how much we were going to have to spend as all the shower doors + shower trays were too high for our space, we were going to have to go "made to measure" etc etc etc - I won't bore you with the details and the story.

Just went in to Bathstore today, and they have very reasonable prices, a good selection of space-saving units, including shower doors of 185cm (if you're over 6ft you'll just have to use the large walk-in shower downstairs :lol: but at least you'll be able to go to the loo at 3am without having to traipse downstairs :D )

Also, they have a design service so I'm going in on Monday with all my measurements and we are going to transport it all out to France in an estate car.

Anyone have any comments about buying it all in the UK at Bathstore?
B&B netherlands

Post by B&B netherlands »

NC, i do recognize your problem of 'height', even worse here, as some of my guests are healthy young dutchies, and they're incredibly tall... my new showerroom couldn't be higher (roof wise) than 200 cms under the beams, so i had to shop for a shower screen less than 200 cms as well... standard size, as you know. found one, but then the top fitting to connect to the wall didn't fit under the beams... but we solved it, in the end.

i suggested the builder a 'sani broyeur' as well and he said: 'if you want ME to install one of those - please find someone else to do it.' right. so he connected the showerroom fittings to the outside roof rainwater drain pipe (correct phrasing?) and replaced that (cheap!) for one with a wider diameter, and everything works like a dream now! no 'sani broyeur'!

the shower there, is a 'column shower', literally translated, with a fixed showerhead, a loose hand shower and 4 waterjets. i had to install a small separate boiler (40 liter) because otherwise, my other guests would have have a miserable 'drip' or a jacuzzi of 230 liters, soooo slowly filling up ;-)

guests though, taller than 192 cms, will have to bend their head a bit... but they always say: 'we're used to it.'