To start again or not to start again

Everything to do with using your own website to advertise your rental property. Design, usability, hosting, getting listed on the search engines, optimising your site, pay-per-click, etc, etc.
clairelou65

To start again or not to start again

Post by clairelou65 »

I have become very despondent with our bookings and constantly wondering why. I have concluded without good pictures and a decent website people will not begin to look, our site .....that took me hours and hours to do is a flash site, i am now pushing on twitter and realize most twitter views come from iphones who just see our site all wrong. Our pictures do not sell the property either.
Not one guest has complained, some said we were too cheap, the guest at the moment sent a quick tweet when she arrived saying 'wow! beautiful cottage!'
Today i was quoted £600 plus £120 for host fees for a shiny new site, how does that sound to you kind people?
My site is with moonfruit, free to do, free to host and £11.99 for the domain name for 2 years.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Claire, have a look at Promote my Place for a replacement you can do yourself.
wallypott

Post by wallypott »

I use Martin Jarvis who is also a LMH member - so you can have his work critiqued here!! Cost £600 - he's very responsive and I'm really pleased.
tavi

Post by tavi »

Hi Claire

Your cottage looks lovely and your pictures are pretty good imho. But you need a gallery that gives a slide show - I hate having to open and close each photo individually.

I have a PMP site like Helen. The address is on my profile if you want to check it out. Really easy to create and the PMP team are very helpful.
Wendy@NorthIdaho

Post by Wendy@NorthIdaho »

Not sure why you're are discouraged about your website, I think it's very nice, love all the local information you provide. The photos are good, personally would like them to be larger when clicked on, if you can do so I think that would be helpful for aging eyes :D

Are you on any listing sites that get a lot of traffic for your particular area? is your area one that gets a lot of tourists? Sorry if you've tried the following, but google your area and see what listing sites come up in 1st -3rd place and look into listing there.

I know for myself, I'm not too happy about my lone booking for our condo, am trying hard to change all my ads to promote a special the local golf course is working with me on.... hopefully for both of us the bookings will start coming in soon!

All the best, your place looks beautiful!
Wendy
New Vacation Rental called DayStar Lodge! (Sold Narrows Cottage now have a rental management company called A-List Rental Management)
annedab

Post by annedab »

I would second (third?) the votes for Promote my Place - I tried a few other options first, but this one was the most straightforward. Hosting prices are reasonable and the staff responded straight away to my endless questions and never once made me feel like I was out of my depth - Contrast to another company who I won't name......
Me:"When I try to send an e mail from my account (on your server) I get an error message - can you help?"
Them: "Well it's fine for us here, we don't have a problem"

- that sorted that out then!
Regards

Anne

If there's no such thing as co-incidence, then why is there a word for it?
clairelou65

Post by clairelou65 »

Thanks for your replies, have had a look at PMP and some of your sites made on there, they look great, wish I had used them in the first place.
Still not sure I can get the keywords and metadata right, it's all over my head I'm afraid! Surely they are important? I don't get however we pick up people searching for 'shabby chic iPod dock' but not 'cottage north York moors' when I put the latter in my keywords.
Our site itself I was really pleased with until buying an iPhone myself, it's just all to pot on there and the availability does not show, my analytics show about 1/3 of my traffic look from safari so I figured I am loosing 1/3 of potential bookings.
FelicityA

Post by FelicityA »

I don't think the quote you got for 'a shiny new site' is that high if it is a proper website designer who can offer you a personalised site with everything you need.

However, even though one of my sons owns a media agency ( award winning so they charge much more and do huge projects) I gave up waiting for a time he could do mine and went with PMP also. I couldn't be happier with the customer service - practically instant and always keen to change things for the better or sort out any problems ( of which there have been few).
clairelou65

Post by clairelou65 »

You are right, it's not the amount of money, I know he is worth it, he has done other sites I use, including our village pub, it was really the £120 year host fees, I could list on another advertising site for that.
I was just wanting a feel for what others pay for a site, I am sure it will pay for itself, but I can't convince the other half that spending £600 right now is a good idea!
The web designers work load is not too bad - he said he could have it done in a few weeks and the accountant has said we can have 100% of the cost in this tax year, a worry of mine as we are likely to show a profit this tax year.
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

Claire - have you looked at other possibilities? Are the sites you're on working for you? Is it a popular spot for tourists? If so how is your competition doing? Are the visitor numbers increasing or decreasing? Is the pattern of booking changing to last minute? etc etc.

Your site looks acceptable to me, there are things that could be improved (as has been mentioned) but the essence is there and your cottage looks well furnished and attractive.

Mouse
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
delilah

Post by delilah »

Hi, i paid £1200 for the following, all through bloomfieldwebdesign (she is great). She can do more than just website so i had webisite, 3hr photography shoot (she found the guy) a cartoon map (she found the guy), 5000 postcards (i wanted these to put around the area so the word of mouth would spread, plus lots of people need accomm to visit relatives...and i do get those bookings) (i also post a few of them out with the returned damage deposit cq).
It's probably a lot lot more than most would want to pay, but i saw it as an important start up/investment cost. I have to say i think it's been well and truly worth it. £600 sounds to cheap to me to get something which will really work for you. It sounds like you have a lovely property that people enjoy when they stay, but as you say, it's pulling them in when the competition is strong. I think photographs and the gallery are the first place people look, and they have got to grab them quickly. I'm sure you have put so much in, that it is just a question of getting the marketing right. It was made so easy for me, because she really "got" what i wanted and is so quick and efficient. If i need any changes she charges £36 an hour which i think is good
whether you think you can, or whether you think you can't....you're right
www.anchoragemewsmersea.co.uk
http://www.facebook.com/AnchorageMewsHo ... age?ref=hl
elena

Post by elena »

Hi Claire!

I'd say if you can build your own site ( which you obviously can!) try to stick with it.....having control of our own site has been a huge boon for us. I was badly let down by a webdesigner when we first came here & was forced to build our own for a quick fix - he did me a huge favour!

I couldn't possibly pay someone to do all the work I've done on ours or for al the changes I'm constantly making....I'm on the 5th version now & still learning as I go along.

It does take a lot of time but it's a big asset for us and we are on pages 1 & 2 on Google for a good few niche phrases both on the French & UK version.

I use Blue Voda (88 euros p.a. for hosting & domain name & free to build) & have found it fairly easy to use ( I'm not very tecchie!!) & they have a good support system.

I always find large photos much more attractive & easy to look at - when I click on yours they're still fairly small.

When I was looking through your site though suddenly all the pages went blank - I stuck with it & kept trying different pages & it started working again but if this is happening with potential customers I doubt they'd stick around.

Even if you do decide to pay someone for a new site, I'd still keep working on one of your own - it's not expensive & it will pay off.
Don't get despondent .... it all takes time.

Good luck!
Elena
Dordogne holiday cottages
Tales from our Dordogne gites
keep in touch with Les Crouquets on Facebook
follow us on pinterest
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

If you want to go the route of having it designed, I'd say go for it, but keep control of the hosting and use a wordpress site for example that you can then change yourself. That's my plan!
Windwhistle

Post by Windwhistle »

Hi Claire,

I build my sites with Moonfruit and see the problem with tablets and iphones. This will change in the next few weeks as they transfer to html5.

I have built this site with the early access to html5 http://www.whitsandbay.info and when they start adding more features I will work on it more.

I have several other sites with moonfruit that rank very well in google, so do not get too disheartened.

Having full control of your site is very important and the ease of using Moonfruit is a big help.

Also you can add a new gallery now with a slideshow
Just starting out!
clairelou65

Post by clairelou65 »

Thanks windwhistle for he advice on moonfruit, and thanks for all the helpful replies.
I logged in yesterday to update the booking calender and while i had some time had a little re-familiarization with the bones of the site, guess what? a 'mobile' tab! pressed it to see the mobile layout, then another button 'change layout',
I was able to delete and move around the content so it shows in a legible format, i am really chuffed with it, it does not look the same as on the computer but its 100% better now.
Also with regards to photos we had a photographer stay there last weekend and she emailed me some fab photos when she left, told me to use them if i want.
Guess i will have to get to grips with photos again but hay ho saved £600 which i could use on advertising now :lol: