Little demand, is this normal?

For topics that are specific to Spain, please go here.
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

Also a few bookings early on, then completely dead. Still too early to predict how the year will end up.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Had a great first two months of the year and then the first two weeks of March went very quiet. Enquiries are just starting to filter in again. I just checked analytics for the first time in ages and my traffic is two thirds of what it was for the same period last year. Fortunately I do have some repeat guests, which compensates for this downturn.
lorca

Post by lorca »

kevsboredagain wrote:Also a few bookings early on, then completely dead. Still too early to predict how the year will end up.
same here - April/early May busy, but not much else
If not now, when?
brendan

Post by brendan »

I had a look at my competitors - bookings, rates etc. and nothing alarming there.

So I suppose there´s some comfort in the fact that we´re all in the same boat! Weird though!
joddle

Post by joddle »

I am pretty dismayed at the lack of interest too. I've lowered prices quite a bit in recognition of the financial climate but despite this have hardly had any bites never mind bookings!! - a very sharp contrast to previous years when by now I was almost always fullly booked. Is everyone waiting for a last minute bargain? I hope so :?
I don't profess to own anything here apart from my own opinion.
camel

subject

Post by camel »

Since the crises, Spain is really struggling. I feel that most holiday makers will know some one who has a property in Spain so they go direct to them.

I manage mine & my friends properties in Spain, Italy & France so I have a broad view. Spain is struggling. If I reduce the price which I did last year the key holder had a lot of problem with the kind of guest that ended up renting.

In, Spain one has to be cautious as due to the state of the economy Spanish people may rent for a week & than don't leave.

Personally, I will not reduce the price & if I don't rent than so be it. I do appreciate that not all of us can take this view specially those who were induced by the agents of 30 +weeks of rental each year.

The £/€ exchange rate does not help either if one is targeting the UK market.
brendan

Post by brendan »

I´m getting more interest in the last couple of days but ALL for the last week in July and the first fortnight in August which are booked. Could have sold them 10 times over but as for the rest....nada!

It´s early days yet and I´m holding steady price wise for the moment.
Alvaro

Post by Alvaro »

I got one cancelling in september and another one booking in august.

Very poor result so far. Net, I´m still 2,000 euros down of what I would expect to make with a long term rental.
wallypott

Post by wallypott »

Alvaro - I should warn you that I make far less profit due to the vastly increased costs, than I did with long term rentals, and there is way more hassle. If you do all your own cleaning, washing, ironing and maintenance then you could reasonably finish up a bit, but only under those circumstances.

Long term rental prices were 6000€/year relatively hassle free, providing you have tenants that actually pay.

Rental income holiday lets 7500€ for the same property, all bills to pay out of that, plus cleaner, washing and ironing, replacement items, insurance, taxes. I should be surprised if 4000€ is what is left over after all costs, and that is despite not having a mortgage on that property.
djfwells

Post by djfwells »

No demand ? Has anything changed over these last few days ?
http://www.tumbit.com/news/articles/710 ... aster.html
camel

subject

Post by camel »

I dont know about the others, however none of the predicted 1.5 million has come my way.
Alvaro

Post by Alvaro »

wallypott wrote:Alvaro - I should warn you that I make far less profit due to the vastly increased costs, than I did with long term rentals, and there is way more hassle. If you do all your own cleaning, washing, ironing and maintenance then you could reasonably finish up a bit, but only under those circumstances.

Long term rental prices were 6000€/year relatively hassle free, providing you have tenants that actually pay.

Rental income holiday lets 7500€ for the same property, all bills to pay out of that, plus cleaner, washing and ironing, replacement items, insurance, taxes. I should be surprised if 4000€ is what is left over after all costs, and that is despite not having a mortgage on that property.
Long term market is too low around here. Calculations are, roughly, 6000 euros revenue minus 2000 euros cost for the long term. To achieve that with holidaylets you have to make 8000 euros and then substract 4000 euros or maybe 9000 to be in the safe side. That´s achievable and then you can dispose of your own property plus don´t have to face big problems like eviction.

You can also combine holidaylets with short term winter rentals.

Of course nothing beats a long term rental at a reasonable price but long term prices keep falling and falling.
camel

subject

Post by camel »

Besides being a low return. There is a very big risk factor i.e. tenants may not pay & taking them to Court is extremely time consuming and costly. We should also consider that when these tenants leave they will destroy the properties, smash up bathtubs etc & walk away with white goods & in many cases the white goods will be sold on ebay or equivalent sites

Normal commercial reward is high risk higher return in this case
high risk and low return.
lorca

Post by lorca »

Sorry Camel I really can´t relate to this. Last year was bad for us compared with previous years, but we were lucky enough to get longish lets (between 6 weeks and 3 months) in each of our three properties which have just about kept us going over the winter.

They have all been great guests (from Denmark, Canada and the UK) - here in Spain for various reasons including house hunting and touring. The properties have been kept in very good order and handed back to us in perfect condition.

Do you have direct experience of these problems?
If not now, when?
camel

subject

Post by camel »

You were lucky & long may it prevail for you. I personally do not any such experience as I will not do long term renting. I however know of people.

I am a prudent person & do not believe in this instance to move forward in good faith. This could have been different if I knew that if things go wrong I can rely on a effecient legal system.