Lay My Hat home page Lay My Hat Forum
The forum for holiday rental owners

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister  
  ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Bucks Berks and Oxfordshire Guardian
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Rental listing sites
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Silvia

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 9:09 am    Post subject: Bucks Berks and Oxfordshire Guardian Reply with quote

Hello,
I am Silvia, the owner of properties in the region of Modena, Italy and new to this interesting forum.

I keep receiving calls from companies that make appealing offers to advertise with them and all the time they prove to be scams. I have a long experience in advertising on foreign websites and I know that valuable web sites never call you, it is me that has to find them on the web.

Now, yesterday a new call from this magazine Bucks Berks and Oxfordshire Guardian, from UK, offering to advert both on the magazine and on their website for a certain lenght of time at the incredible price of 120 BP instead of 495 BP!!
Not only their website does not work, and it is under construction, but also they appear not to have any links whatsoever to any website in Google.
I fear that this is another scam, and wanted to check with you weather you have heard about them as magazine and if someone has received the same offer?

Thanks!
Silvia
Essar

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks very unusual; facebook page is nothing, the feature editor Kerri MacDonald linkedin page is also empty.
I think it's either very brand new and just getting going or it's a scam.
Silvia

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 9:46 pm    Post subject: Bucks Berks and Oxfordshire Guardian Reply with quote

Hi Essar,
thank you so much for your prompt reply.
I think that this is scam and it is not worthy a further search.
Thanks for your effort!
Silvia
Rexal1235

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:52 am    Post subject: Bucks, Berks, & Oxfordshire Guardian Reply with quote

Hi!

I've recently bought the services from the Bucks, Berks, & Oxfordshire guardian. I have a Villa in spain, and i decided that the only way was to advertise. A woman called Kerri confronted me and helped me with a reasonably sized advert with a price that i can personally afford.

I received the conformity and i received the proof read. I managed to sell the property and now me and my wife are living very comfortably. This was two months ago and since then i have advertised my property in the UK.

It is a professional business, there isn't much trust in the world anymore.

Regards
Marks

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooh a first poster telling us how wonderful a product it is. Surely there is no connection???

Forum rule number 4:

If you are posting to recommend or give an opinion on a listing site or other service, please include a link to your own website or listing site ad in your profile - so we know you are a rental owner, and not the listing site owner! The site or ad you link to should include your name and contact information, and the site being recommended must have its contact information publicly viewable.
French Cricket

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely a scam then Rolling Eyes
Essar

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My parents always taught me to be wary of others intentions, whilst being kind and keeping an open mind.

Life, particularly in business, has taught me differently - the cynical approach first until proven otherwise.

And I'm an optimist!
booboo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Laughing I do love this forum Laughing Laughing Laughing

I agree with the three Hatters above!!!

Oh and welcome to the forum Silva Smile
greenbarn

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a link to Scam warning on another forum reporting criminal acts by a number of companies that trace back to common ownership, including companies called The Hampshire Guardian Ltd, The Swindon Guardian Ltd and The Southern Counties Telegraph Ltd. All of these are dissolved, so life must be tough for local newspapers.

There is of course absolutely no reason to think that the Bucks, Berks and Oxfordshire Guardian is anything other than a bona fide organisation despite their lack of a website or any contact information (or indeed their mention in a post in the above link), but it is perhaps worth bringing to everyone's attention that there have been scam organisations in the past with names that sounded like local newspapers (see above examples), and who were selling non-existent advertising space.

ps Welcome Silvia, and thanks for raising this issue.
To Rexal1235, we'd all be very interested to see a link to the advert for your property with the Bucks Berks and Oxfordshire Guardian, as we are all in the position of needing good sales outlets.
Brittany Babe

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in Bucks and can report that I have never ever heard of the Bucks, Berks and Oxfordshire Guardian!
Silvia

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:26 am    Post subject: Bucks Berks and Oxfordshire Guardian Reply with quote

Hi everyone,
thanks for your replies.
I especially like Rexal1235 reply, because he is the only one that could overcome a scam...ahahahah!!

And thanks to Brittany Babe for confirming it.
Silvia
sheesh

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They aren't listed on Companies House website and their fb page appears to be editable by the public!

Sheesh

www.holidaylettings.co.uk/214234
Ben McNevis

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They phoned me with an offer that sounded reasonable. It was a lovely lady and I was nearly tempted. Glad now that I resisted. The thing that swayed me was ... oh no I won't say it because then Rexal1235 will know how to make their story more convincing.
www . learntotype.com/hrd Holiday Rentals Desk software
pambon

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brittany Babe wrote:
I live in Bucks and can report that I have never ever heard of the Bucks, Berks and Oxfordshire Guardian!

My parents lived in South Bucks and I know of the South Bucks Examiner and, I believe, there is also the Bucks Examiner. I'm sure both Berks and Oxfordshire will have their own Examiners or similar Very Happy

It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop.
Confucius (551BC-479BC)
lorca

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Bucks, Berks, & Oxfordshire Guardian Reply with quote

[quote="Rexal1235"] A woman called Kerri confronted me ....

I received the conformity [/quote

Come on you lot, even in the current economic crisis, where else could you get a decent conformity for a mere 120 quid? ... I´d have leapt at the chance if it wasn´t for the fact that I gave them up along with my day job when we moved to Spain.

As for a personal confrontation by Kerri (wasn´t she on Xfactor ?)...not my thing, but I´m sure there´d be plenty of takers out there

https://www.facebook.com/vivasiesta
/
Rental listing sites