Building a holiday let- what must it have?

If you are planning to buy a rental home, or you're thinking about what to do with one you have just acquired, this is the place for any questions about starting out in the rentals business.
Sail away

Post by Sail away »

Thought I would update this thread- it's been over a year!

I now have planning permission for a one bedroom single storey house. No restrictions on usage. The site looks out over farmland to a loch where you can watch the tide come and go. Lots of bird life around- ravens, curlews, geese, buzzards, etc all resident, occasionally eagles too. Most days you can see the Harris hills so long as it isn't too hazy.

The design I came up with in the end has one bedroom, one shower-room, and one open plan lounge/kitchen/diner. This has a big patio door making the most of the view, and space for a log burner. The sofa will be positioned so that you can comfortably relax and look out at the view, as well as the tv and stove. There is also an entrance hallway with two cupboards- one will be locked and house 'my' stuff (linen etc), the other available for guests and will be large enough to accommodate the washing machine and a mini drier, plus hoover, etc.

Vaulted ceiling with exposed beams in the main living space. Going for bamboo or hardwood flooring throughout. Decking out the front, off the patio door.

The building will be extremely well insulated and draught-free, served by a heat recovery ventilation system. A couple of small electric panel heaters should be more than adequate for heating, as the insulation standard is about twice that required by current building regs.

Now, the downsides. No bath. Bedroom is a bit tight (only 2.9m wide). Room for only one medium-sized sofa, and a two seater dinner table. Run of kitchen units max 12ft long, which has to fit in all of the kitchen stuff inc white goods, except washing machine.

Should have a digger arriving next week, an exciting time! I will no doubt have many more questions as the project move forward.