Renting legally in Mallorca

For topics that are specific to Spain, please go here.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

I just stumbled across this which may be of interest to some of you. Written by a Spanish Lawyer. I do not purport to know how truthful or otherwise it may be. http://www.seemallorca.com/property-letting
harcourtv57

Post by harcourtv57 »

Thanks Nemo, very interesting! Not sure how you would get round the 'non tourist' advertising issue though :roll:
Bumblebee

Post by Bumblebee »

My understanding is that you can advertise on tourist websites (OD, HL etc) but your advert should steer clear of overtly stating that the apartment is a holiday let and you should not mention anything that could be construed as tourist services, such as airport transfers/towels etc. Also, what you offer in your advert should be the same as what is offered in the short-term tenancy agreement. I guess that once a guest makes contact with you you can informally mention these things, but need to steer clear of having them in ad or contract.

It's mad, but my understanding of the situation so far is that this is what you need to do to stay the right side of the law. Hopefully it will change at some point, as it seems really short-sighted to strangle the private rental market. Quite honestly, guests will go elsewhere, as someone who wants to rent an apartment is generally not the sort of person who wants to stay in a hotel and so they will look for somewhere else to stay.
Oh I do like to be beside the sea...

www.bumblebeecottagefiley.com
Owners Direct: 8151873
CSE

Post by CSE »

Is that really the answer?
Is there such a thing as short-term tenancy agreement in Spain?
If you rent out under Spanish laws then you need to abide by other things like provide a a certificate of energy efficiency. In Spain it is hard to remove tenants renting.
There special rules when renting out your property if it is located in a "communities" too.
We are not lawyers but if you look up the laws on renting in Spain you will find a lot, (especially in Spanish).
So step away from one law and fall into a more complicated area may not be your answer.
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.