First guests arrive on Friday....eeek!

If you are planning to buy a rental home, or you're thinking about what to do with one you have just acquired, this is the place for any questions about starting out in the rentals business.
Jester

First guests arrive on Friday....eeek!

Post by Jester »

Our first guests arrive on Friday, I swear we'll have forgotten something stupid or really obvious!!

I'm terrified! I've almost finished all the blurb to print out and put in a folder - and then do a last clean.

Any advice or things to check we haven't forgotten!!
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Exciting but terrifying! Good luck. No real advice, as this tends to be a profession that you learn as you go! I'm sure all will be fine and hearing nothing from your guests will be a good thing. Hopefully they'll let you know they enjoyed it afterwards though.
onestep

Post by onestep »

Good luck! I'm sure it'll be fine, but it does make for a nerve wracking time. Nemo is of course right, it's best to hear nothing from them.. And then you go in and read lovely things in the comments book, and it makes you smile. Let us know how it goes :-)
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

Nemo wrote:this tends to be a profession that you learn as you go!
Agreed, and it's a very steep learning curve. My one regret in the early days was that, in my eagerness to obtain bookings, I made the mistake of letting guests negotiate too much on the price and T&C's and ended up with guests that I wouldn't entertain today. Don't worry too much if you've forgotten something (except the regulatory stuff of course) - you'll definitely remember it next time and you'll find that you constantly change things anyway, until you discover what works best for you. The guests probably won't notice anyway. Good luck; I'm sure it will all go well.
barbersdrove

Post by barbersdrove »

Oh I remember that feeling. I remember clearly our first guests too as they were a married couple and we had a double bed at the time. I made that up and they knocked to say they wanted the sofa bed bedding too. I felt really bad I hadn't left it and thought I'd never have another guest after that bad start! Then it got worse as the washing machine flooded. This turned out to be their fault though. Both happenings meant we at least saw them and had a conversation :D

Of course everything was OK and nowadays these things are just part and parcel and dealt with without the well of feelings they created back then. They did return and recommended us to some friends so I think it's not what goes wrong but how you deal with things that matters.

Good luck, try to enjoy.
A cream cake a day keeps the wrinkles at bay:)
tavi

Post by tavi »

You're probably planning on this but in any case my advice would be to engage with them on their second day - by phone/text/email/in person???? A short message to say you hope all is well and if they have any queries to let you know.

That way you get some feel-good factor for yourself and the guests, plus any confusion/problems/feedback can be addressed immediately rather than waiting to be found in the guest book.

Hope it goes well :)
Orsonthecat

Post by Orsonthecat »

Good luck Jester! I remember feeling just as nervous when our first guests arrived in. July this year. I still get a bit jittery but only because I want everything to be just right. Most people are really lovely and you'll get a buzz from their enjoyment of the place. Just expect the unexpected... That's been the fantastic thing about LMH, it really does prepare you for all types/incidents!
So much to learn....so little time!
Jester

Well...

Post by Jester »

They arrived, just as it was getting dark, and thankfully parked in exactly the right place with no difficulty and figured out the key box etc.... that had been put up only about 2 hours beforehand!

It was all very rushed but really exciting! Just keeping our fingers crossed that they like everything !
tavi

Post by tavi »

great news Jester, a smooth arrival helps put them in the right mood! Hope all goes well.
Marks

Post by Marks »

You can now have one of these:

Some guests just need a sympathetic pat. On the head. With a hammer.
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

I'm sure it'll all be absolutely fine Jester. I remember our first guests and recall being shocked that they didn't immediately ring to say how amazing everything was! :roll: It's your baby, it is amazing and they will leave glowing reviews!
Kathy
Waterfront location in Le Faou
"My goal in life is to become as wonderful as my dog thinks I am."
other

Post by other »

. .
Last edited by other on Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ladyaga

first guests

Post by Ladyaga »

The very first guest for us arrived on Aug 8th 2014
The first thing she did was put the heating on 24/7
the second thing was load all her washing from her last holiday into our machine, and did this all day and night for the next 24 hours. It did not rain all week, she asked me for a tumble dryer too, Aug - fab weather.
we sleep 18 people, she and most of the family did not get dressed for the whole week, there were 5 children, and another adult couple.
They bought in two TV's and all the game box stuff kids have these days. The electric was £92 for the week, not to mention the oil.
We are with Sykes, so well under priced
there is none so queer as folk
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

Yikes! :shock: