What a start and any suggestions for software...

If you are planning to buy a rental home, or you're thinking about what to do with one you have just acquired, this is the place for any questions about starting out in the rentals business.
Jester

What a start and any suggestions for software...

Post by Jester »

We've just started out - and boy what an introduction we've had - first couple of people in our 1 bed dog friendly place were great, third lot for unknown reasons stood on the sheets in their muddy boots. Then we had the first group in our 4 bed (7 adults and 4 infants) and lets just say they've lost their deposit and then some and we're still cleaning all the glitter, a sofa will need re-dyeing and we're still trying to bleach the memory of all those unbagged nappies in the two recycling bins that we had to remove....and tonight....we've got some more people in the 1 bed and the heating has decided to pack up in spite of having a brand new boiler system, thankfully they've been very nice about it and we've given them a fan heater, and offered them blankets etc...

Anyway - we've got those two places (on the same plot) and also a 2 bed place and for the time being, we'll be moving between the 3 to which ever one isn't let out.

We're with an agent at the moment, but in the process of making a website with a view to taking bookings ourselves, so I wanted to ask knowledgeable people if there were any clear winners in terms of software packages to use when we come to take the reins ourselves?
kg1

Post by kg1 »

I can't help on the software but sympathies on your introduction - what a nightmare. I know what you mean about the glitter, we had that at Xmas & there is no vacuum cleaner in the world which gets all that up - will still be trying in July!
barbersdrove

Post by barbersdrove »

My, that's some introduction! On the upside you are learning quickly! When we first opened I asked some relatives to do their worst so I could work out how to handle different scenarios (at that time I did not know abut LMH) :D

I'm not being flippant but having now encountered these issues you have been put to the test and will now have a lot to reflect on and will be better placed when anything similar occurs. Well done on holding damage deposit many would have not been up to the confrontation that that brings when so new to the job. Keep it up along with keeping your chin up.

No good advice on software, sorry, really just wanted to say 'well done' on not giving up before you've even begun, many would be having second thoughts. I can only get better.....can't it?
A cream cake a day keeps the wrinkles at bay:)
SandyBeaches

Post by SandyBeaches »

We use promotemyplace for our website and PIMS for booking management software. Very pleased with both.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Was just about to mention PIMS as the clear contender by recommendation here. Lots of threads about it - I'll try and dig a few out. As and when you decide to try or buy, you can get a referral code from a member which benefits you both.

Sorry to hear about your first few guests, but it's a fast way to learn! Hopefully things can only get better. I've had a complete heating breakdown over Christmas too in one of mine. I've had to buy spare heaters, new interfaces for the system and have just learnt I need a new towel rail. The system is only three years old. There are dark forces at work that caused my problem and without being able to solve why means it could happen again. :( Life's never easy when you rent out a holiday home.
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

Another recommendation for Promote My Place as a good starting point for creating your own web site - it really is idiot-proof and the finished result is very impressive. You can invest in a more bespoke offering later if needs be. I have a referral code for a £10 discount on their listing price if you want it - just PM me if you do.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Here's a couple of threads about PIMS. I started using it within a few months of managing my own bookings in 2010. I recently upgraded to Gold version once I had a website to integrate forms in etc, but even the standard version does most of what you need to start with.

viewtopic.php?t=23024

viewtopic.php?t=21268
Jester

Post by Jester »

Thanks everyone! Yes it has been quite a start - we managed to get the engineer out to replace a part so touch wood it'll be ok now - we offered the couple to stay the weekend too as we haven't got anything booked in there for a bit but they decided to just stay tonight as extra, so fingers crossed they won't be too hard on us in the guest book - we also had no internet earlier - although luckily I think that was when they were out - as the internet company had a power outage - probably due to the appalling weather!

Thank you for the software info, I'll be able to have a good read up now to get things in place :)
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

There are lots of booking type software packages out there and many people on here use PIMs to organise things. Also bear in mind, you don't actually need any software at all to take bookings yourselves.

A simple reservation form, either online or PDF and a spreadsheet to keep things organised would do fine for a limited number of properties/bookings.

I remember a landlandy in Germany, where I stayed, just used a big diary for her 7 apartments.