Flooring options...

If you are planning to buy a rental home, or you're thinking about what to do with one you have just acquired, this is the place for any questions about starting out in the rentals business.
Astorchamonix

Tiled floor

Post by Astorchamonix »

We've got a tiled floor with underfloor heating in our ski place
1. Easy to clean but collects lots of dust
2. More breakages of kitchen stuff however as when things hit it they invariably smash!

Carpets are more homely but beware, if anything less than immaculate guests will notice....nothing worse as a guest than stains on carpets.... (OK, stains on bedsheets maybe...)
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

tavi wrote:http://www.porcelainsuperstore.co.uk/wood-effect.html

Have you seen these? ...kind of trendy now and you can have all kinds - from "parquet-effect" to lime-washed planks - depending on your style. Very little grout to get grubby. Could work for your hall and kitchen - even living room with a big thick rug in the sitting area.
Am I alone in finding this rather weird? :? The look of wood with the cold chill underfoot of tile! :P I suppose the theory is that being tile it's far more hard wearing than natural wood or wood effect laminate, but in that case why not just go for something that looks like ceramic/porcelain/terracotta? I love the variety you get with tiles, but when I want wood I get wood.
tavi

Post by tavi »

...must say I kind of agree with you Cass - I too hate one thing pretending to be something else, although I've see some pale "bleached wood" flooring in another seaside apartment round here and it does look kind of chic.

I think it's best to think of it as flooring rather than tiles iyswim - it doesn't look like tiles as the grout is almost invisible.

I'm tempted to do it in my bathroom though maybe it's just a fad and will look dated in a few years?
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

I'd have to get up close and personal with them tavi. I can't bear 'faux' unless it's deliberately kitsch and I wonder about these tiles. I must get out more as I haven't come across them! Watch this space as I may become a convert :D I've spent many an hour scouring ebay for reclaimed quarry tiles for kitchens I've renovated, and I once expended a quite stupid amount of money having an Edwardian black and white path reinstated only to have the buyers of my lovingly restored house rip it all up to create parking :cry: Recently I viewed a 300 year old village house in Spain where the upstairs rooms had been decked out in a dark wood plastic laminate, walking on which caused my toes to recoil in horror. I guess I'm a bit of a flooring snob :D Do I qualify for counselling on the NHS?
tavi

Post by tavi »

Dark wood plastic laminate ? arggghhh.

:shock:
ewhiddett

what's wrong with wood floors

Post by ewhiddett »

Starting out, no underfloor heating, near beach and will accept dogs. Wooden floor seems unpopular - we will need to take up our flooring but just looked at porcelain and it would seem horrid underfoot. Tempted by Amtico alternatives but what's wrong with existing floor. We have a 1920 bungalow in Cornwall.
johnandtahra

Post by johnandtahra »

Thought an update might be worthwhile.

We've resolved to look into quality lino or similar, rather than wood or tiles. Partly for budget reasons - we have an overall renovation budget that I am trying to avoid blowing, as it impacts our bottom-line - and partly because, actually, some of these options are hard-wearing, smart and relatively inexpensive.

That said, I reserve the right to change my mind up until the point we get around to putting the floor in ;)