Buying Beds

If you are planning to buy a rental home, or you're thinking about what to do with one you have just acquired, this is the place for any questions about starting out in the rentals business.
Essar

Post by Essar »

HelenB wrote:Why not? Mine is 2" thick memory foam.
Bragging again eh? :lol:

Evidenterleement Ikea is not John Lewis - Ikea has a poor reputation for quality.
"Write something, even if it's just a suicide note"
"There is no human problem which could not be solved if people would simply do as I advise"
"As for my amnesia, I've had it as long as I can remember"
Soupdragon

Post by Soupdragon »

Oh thanks for this Tymawrfarm, I was about to post nearly exactly the same question!

I need two sets of zip and link and I'm wobbling between Mattisons and Linxbeds. For pocket sprung Mattisons are slightly more economic I think. We'll obviously have to go for mattress protectors all round but does anyone have any thoughts about whether a solid base or legs works better?
greenbarn

Re: Buying Beds

Post by greenbarn »

Essar wrote:we had our Visit England pre-assessment visit yesterday for our new property and the only comment on beds was that the bases must be firm and the mattresses at least Pocket-Sprung. ..... Zip-linked beds must have thick toppers .....
Presumably that was the assessor's personal opinion and not VE/QIT policy? There's nothing to support any of those statements in the Standards.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

I have Mattissons Cosmopolitan mattresses, the cheapest pocket sprung ones on their recommendation, but we find them very comfortable. The more springs, the firmer the mattress and I detest hard beds. They are very deep mattresses too. I've had many positive guest comments.

I have a divan bed and ones with chrome legs - purely down to what look you want really. Do be really clear about exactly what you want; they do make mistakes as they are effectively bespoke beds, but they don't quibble about rectifying them.

Out of Eden quilted waterproof protectors too.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I am not sure Ikea's reputation for lack of quality actually applies totheir higher end mattresses. We've had several, and they've all been excellent. The Ikea toppers wouldn't fit on Uk zip links in any case, I don't think they are the same size.
newtimber

Post by newtimber »

Casscat wrote:However if you have divan beds then one thing I quite like is hanging headboard 'cushions' which are suspended on a pole behind the bed. Much easier to clean than an upholstered headboard, much easier to change for fashion/season/colour rethink etc. and can be much more in keeping when you have an older property.
The main trouble with headboards not attached to the bed is if the bed moves away from the hanging cushions/wall, it leaves a gap which is not comfortable.

The main reason for having a fixed headboard is that if the bed moves, the headboard moves with it
Essar

Post by Essar »

greenbarn wrote:
Essar wrote:we had our Visit England pre-assessment visit yesterday for our new property and the only comment on beds was that the bases must be firm and the mattresses at least Pocket-Sprung. ..... Zip-linked beds must have thick toppers .....
Presumably that was the assessor's personal opinion and not VE/QIT policy? There's nothing to support any of those statements in the Standards.
It may not be in the standards documents, but it is certainly an "unwritten" agreement between ALL of the assessorisers. He was extremely knowledgeable about all brands, not just bed makes, mattresses, bedding but even cutlery, crockery and pan makes.
"Write something, even if it's just a suicide note"
"There is no human problem which could not be solved if people would simply do as I advise"
"As for my amnesia, I've had it as long as I can remember"
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

Essar wrote:
greenbarn wrote:
It may not be in the standards documents, but it is certainly an "unwritten" agreement between ALL of the assessorisers. He was extremely knowledgeable about all brands, not just bed makes, mattresses, bedding but even cutlery, crockery and pan makes.
I've also always found them to be very knowledgeable on equipment and a useful source of advice. They are however assessing to a documented standard, so whereas they can interpret "of good quality" as a description used in the docs, there is no way they can justify eg mattress toppers of any thickness on zip/link as opposed to any other type of bed. There's no allowance to be made for their personal opinions in arriving at a grading - all assessors should arrive at pretty much the same score for any given property.

But - they are also looking for year-on-year improvements, and that's where their personal opinion based on their wide experience is really valuable. Advice and assessment are different - they're there to assess; getting their advice, asking them questions and listening is where they can add real value. I've had, and implemented, some really good suggestions at times; the sort of changes a guest wouldn't come up with and you don't always see for yourself when you're very familiar with the property.
anya752000

Post by anya752000 »

I have a zip n link superking (from linx beds) when made up as the superking I top it with an out of eden mattress topper (padded but not thick foam) and a mattress protector. I have slept on it and it is very comfortable. (even doing the starfish!)