Fire risk assessment

If you are planning to buy a rental home, or you're thinking about what to do with one you have just acquired, this is the place for any questions about starting out in the rentals business.
welshfred

Fire risk assessment

Post by welshfred »

Hi

I am just about to carry out a fire risk assessment on my holiday let. I have found this document which is useful: https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... guests.pdf.

I am thinking that I will install linked smoke (on each floor, in each bedroom??) and carbon monoxide (where relevant) detectors and make sure that there is an up to date fire extinguisher in the kitchen.

Does this sound sensible and is it roughly what others have? It is a 3 bedroomed property, including one bedroom in the attic.

Many thanks
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

welshfred, you might find this thread useful.

viewtopic.php?t=20981&highlight=fire

You will also need some sort of emergency lighting. There are various threads about SafeT lights and similar.

The one thing that springs to mind about having an attic room, is whether the staircase is fully enclosed with a fire door, as I believe this is a necessity for third floor rooms in a holiday let, but you would need to check regulations.
welshfred

Post by welshfred »

Thanks Bunny, that thread was really useful. I wasn't sure if emergency lighting was necessary or not but it looks like it is!