Hot Tubs

If you are planning to buy a rental home, or you're thinking about what to do with one you have just acquired, this is the place for any questions about starting out in the rentals business.
Ladyaga

Hot Tubs

Post by Ladyaga »

Do any of you folk have a hot tub in your rental in the UK
If so, I should love to know how you operate it, I mean do you change the water between each let, how do you keep it clean.
WE put the chemicals in on a daily basis. BUT they get it just filthy on the first night, we sleep 18 folk here at our let, so there is high usage, they are told to shower and to take all jewelry off, we have found broken glass in the hot tub, and the smell at the end of the week is awful, it has been the same since we let the house out, but the 6 weeks before we had guest in and used it our selves with several friends we never had it go cloudy once, so what is the answer.
there is none so queer as folk
Zingara

Post by Zingara »

There is a thread on LMH about this, and someone who's better at searching than I will come along with the link...the term 'Satan's Bidet' summed it up rather well :wink:
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Hi Ladyaga, you needed to post this thread in the managing your garden and pool as that's the right place for it rather than the just starting out section.

I've trawled through and found a few for you to read in the meantime but hopefully you may get someone along that can help.

viewtopic.php?t=20984

viewtopic.php?t=22016

viewtopic.php?t=19672

viewtopic.php?t=22221
charles cawley

Post by charles cawley »

No web-site for now.
Advice about holiday letting
CSE

Post by CSE »

Legionella would be looming on our minds with something like this.
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
Martha

Post by Martha »

Well worth reading Charle's link.

Everyone gets read the riot act on the hot tub, and I 'm sure you do too, but 18 is a lot of people and I can well imagine you have problems.
One thing that has helped with us a lot with similar issues:

- We explain at the welcome meeting that chlorine and filtering only do so much, and it's vital that hygiene precautions are observed, otherwise the water will become dirty, which can be dangerous, and tell them why - legionella, folliculitis etc, bacteria introduced from the outside. It's useful to stress this as a lot of people genuinely don't know how important it is, they just think the filter fixes everything.

- We explain that the tub is refilled with water for every set of guest, so it's currently sparkling clean. It should stay that way! If, on the daily check, the water is dirty, it will have to be cleaned and refilled during the week, for hygiene and safety reasons. There will be a charge of £xxx (whatever is appropriate for you here, but make it pretty substantial) and it won't be available for at least 24 hours while the fresh water reheats.

Since telling people this, things have been noticeably better. We haven't had one yet that was in a real state on leaving, and it used to happen pretty regularly, especially with kids/teens who tend to run in and out of it.

PS love the username! :lol:
Chalet la Foret, Chamonix