FilmOn and Iplayer in Spain

For topics that are specific to Spain, please go here.
joddle

FilmOn and Iplayer in Spain

Post by joddle »

For ages we have been using FilmOn to record material for watching later but they have suddenly and without any warning reduced the "free" recording hours from 10 to 1 so its no longer possible to record anything which lasts longer than an hour without paying for hours. Their privilige I suppose - 10 hours was pretty generous for free anyway! However now I have to think of using the Iplayer but that has changed as well - I used to use Anoynox and Firefox to view or download material and now with the new BBC Downloads programme I can only watch - not download. Any download I try appears to get selected OK but just won't start downloading and stays at the select screen - Has anyone found an alternative way of doing this without the cost of a VPN - I only need it occasionally anyway?
I don't profess to own anything here apart from my own opinion.
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

As an existing customer, we pay 2.95USD per month for 11 hours (was 10)

We move it all over to

http://applian.com/replay-media-catcher/download

Which costs, but it will record just about anything. You can use the VLC player to capture stuff as well for free, I found it very complicated for my small brain

You could use the media catcher to free up the hour, so you then could record another hour. You have to weigh up a one-off payment against a monthly one.

As for VPNs have a look at Hola, free and easy to use with iPlayer, though this route you lose C4 as they are cannier than the BBC.
Cheers
PC
joddle

Post by joddle »

I downloaded the media catcher but it seems not to accept the iplayer content - and I dont want to buy it unless its going to do just that. Has anyone any experience of capturing iplayer content?

Hola works well for viewing iplayer in Windows but not on an android and curently there seems to be no RT version which I need for my Surface. All in all ita a bit of a pain but not drastic as we have sat TV in the house and can record to HDD when we are at home - maybe a PVR with twin tuners would be worth going for in the future but for now its the ability to record from catchup that I really want.
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

Try in this order: open iPlayer, turn on Hola, find programme on iPlayer, cue up, open MC, hit start, then hit play on the iPlayer. It will most likely record the 3 seconds intro separately from the main programme. Once MC picks up the prog, hit pause on iPlayer. MC will have all the info it needs, so you save on bandwidth.
Cheers
PC
joddle

Post by joddle »

Paul Carmel wrote:Try in this order: open iPlayer, turn on Hola, find programme on iPlayer, cue up, open MC, hit start, then hit play on the iPlayer. It will most likely record the 3 seconds intro separately from the main programme. Once MC picks up the prog, hit pause on iPlayer. MC will have all the info it needs, so you save on bandwidth.
Thanks - but what is "MC" ?
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

joddle wrote:
Paul Carmel wrote:Try in this order: open iPlayer, turn on Hola, find programme on iPlayer, cue up, open MC, hit start, then hit play on the iPlayer. It will most likely record the 3 seconds intro separately from the main programme. Once MC picks up the prog, hit pause on iPlayer. MC will have all the info it needs, so you save on bandwidth.
media catcher
Cheers
PC
joddle

Post by joddle »

Paul Carmel wrote:
joddle wrote:
media catcher
Of course - thanks.
joddle

Post by joddle »

Paul Carmel wrote:
joddle wrote:
media catcher
Tried it now and success - many thanks - At least from my PC I can record older programmes from the iplayer which is was what I really wanted. However I find I cannot scroll forward on the files produced - or is that because I am using the "free trial" at the moment. If its going to work fine then I think I am prepared to fork out for the proper version.
joddle

Post by joddle »

Further to the above - as I am using the free trial I only get half the progamme - but cannot get anything from ITV at all! Is there anything similar to grab any UK tv stream? I dont really want to fork our for something do do only BBC if there is something better out there.
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

Sorry for the late reply, I use MC for BBC, ITV, C4, all from film on. I also record radio from Iplayer, it will also pick up Spotify so you can listen to tunes while you are not online.
Cheers
PC
joddle

Post by joddle »

Paul Carmel wrote:Sorry for the late reply, I use MC for BBC, ITV, C4, all from film on. I also record radio from Iplayer, it will also pick up Spotify so you can listen to tunes while you are not online.
Thanks for that - I think we have been talking cross purposes as I had been trying to record from "catch up" on iplayer and itvplayer but have discovered MC can't do ITV - the MC helpline confirmed that (very helpful actually) and suggested their screen capture programme which actually does a reasonable job of recording exactly what you get on the screen - may well invest in that sometime!