Toiletries, gifts and bath robes!

If you are planning to buy a rental home, or you're thinking about what to do with one you have just acquired, this is the place for any questions about starting out in the rentals business.
Astorchamonix

Post by Astorchamonix »

Just to add
I stayed in a boutique hotel called Crowley manor once and they did green and spring toiletries which were DIVINE! And even though this was at least 5 years ago I still remember it!
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

Astorchamonix, when you say a 'Welcome Pack' do you mean that you leave these type of items all in a pack? I provide all the things you mention but they are not provided as a pack as such. For example, there is washing powder by the washing machine, dishwasher tablets in the kitchen drawer etc, washing up liquid by the sink, soap in the bathrooms etc. I would expect a Welcome Pack to include luxury items that were a nice added touch rather than basic necessities. Perhaps I'm justing misunderstanding your wording, but maybe that's why guests are not commenting on it.
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

Astorchamonix wrote: In our mid prices holiday let we provide a little welcome pack (we don't advertise that it will be there) which includes a hand soap (from out of Eden), coffee, teabags, dishwasher tablets, washing powder, biscuits, milk, half a bottle of wine etc etc.
A lot of what you describe are essentials that either you provide, or the guest has to bring. If you don't tell the guest upfront what you provide, and therefore manage their expectations, you're not really doing them or you any favours. Most guests are likely to want a cup of tea/coffee when they arrive; if they've just detoured for half an hour's stress to get what they need, only to find they needn't have bothered, it might possibly have a negative effect.

Whatever you provide, tell the guests in advance - hold back something special but non-essential as a surprise if you wish (although there's always debates about who we might offend by providing XYZ :roll: )
Jester

Post by Jester »

I thought the thread must have gone dead as I never had any more notifications- must have forgotten to click something so was very excited to see all this feedback when I logged in just now!

Thank you all for the feedback it's invaluable! We've just got our own website going and got a spot on Owners direct and it's been promising so far.

I'll hopefully get some heat mats soon as like it was said that's definitely in our benefit. We're also planning to line as many draws as possible!

I suppose regarding the robes I could see that getting some and leaving them as someone mentioned i.e. on a hanger and in such a way that you know if they've been used and doing a survey to check guests would want them would be the way forward. In terms of slippers though I think I'm not keen on the idea of something disposable from the eco friendly point of view...so would have to think about that.
In terms of soaps there clearly a lot of options out there so I can look into those. people seem to like the local chocolates we've left as we really struggled to find anything else to leave for people, though I have to say I worry about people with allergies, but maybe I'm overthinking?!
Astorchamonix

Post by Astorchamonix »

Bunny, we wrap up the dishwasher tabs etc in little 'portions' and there is also other things in the pack like biscuits, tissue packs, wine, snacks etc so it's a bit more than the essentials. I'm a bit reluctant to advertise that we provide it as not being on site I can't guarantee that our rental company have put it out, and managing the disappointment may be even more risky! I've never visited a ski resort and been provided with a pack, but have a lot of times when visiting places in the UK and always thought it to be a nice touch, hence why i thought I would do it. It may be that I end up stopping it if I get any negative feedback......
Astorchamonix

Post by Astorchamonix »

No feedback on the welcome pack.....when we arrived to visit this week the reason became clear.....all the welcome packs still packed up in the wardrobe! Management company forgot to leave them out :oops:
Zingara

Post by Zingara »

You're not the only one to suffer this, Astorchamonix...Last year I provided all the 'contents', along with some useful 'green' bags to put them in. The bags are great for going shopping / to the beach etc....all the bags have been left in the garage, and there's wine etc left over, so I know it didn't 'go to plan'.
I'm going over today, to shop, fill and label the bags with clients' names. It's cheaper, and more efficient, for me to do this than be charged 40€ +TVA ph for the shopping etc :shock: