Third floor for letting

If you are planning to buy a rental home, or you're thinking about what to do with one you have just acquired, this is the place for any questions about starting out in the rentals business.
Kernow

Third floor for letting

Post by Kernow »

Hi,

Stumbled on this site and what a wonderful resource. I have learned so much already but wondered if anyone could offer some advice.

My wife and I are about to purchase a small apartment close to the centre of a popular UK tourist city.

It was initially going to be for our own occasional use but we will be using it so infrequently that we are considering offering it as a year round holiday let.

My only concern is that it is a third floor apartment with no lift and I wondered whether this would have a detrimental effect on booking levels. I guess it will but just wondered if anyone has experience of renting this type of property.

Many thanks in advance

Regards

Barry
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

I live in a third floor apartment (well it's three floors up from the underground car park anyway) with no lift and it didn't put me off buying it. With a holiday rental location is much more important than the presence of a lift as your guests will just be using the apartment as a base to go out and explore. Your place is not going to appeal to families with young kids in pushchairs, but that's all to the good really as your soft furnishings will benefit from their absence!
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

I don't think it will hinder bookings, but it will definitely have a bearing on the type of guest and the length of stay. It may put off the older generation or less able bodied but if it's in a popular destination you should still be able to achieve a good level of bookings, dependent of the level of competition, of course. Tourist towns tend to attract more short stay bookings and although it is more work it can be more profitable. Unless it is near the coast?
edinburgh

Post by edinburgh »

Might depend where.

Tenements in Edinburgh never have a lift, and it doesn't seem to a difference in either the residential long term letting market, or self-catering holiday market.
other

Post by other »

. .
Last edited by other on Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

It will make a small difference to bookings. I also live myself on the 3rd floor, in an old building and we have no lift, so I'm used to it but many people aren't.

Our place in Spain in on a hill and has maybe 20-30 steps to climb to the house. Carrying luggage or even shopping is sometimes hard work and for some people this is too much. I reckon I lose a few bookings to people who are unable to handle so many steps.

You must make it very clear in your adverts or you will receive some complaints. I wouldn't worry too much though as probably for the majority of holiday makers, it won't be an issue.
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

kevsboredagain wrote:It will make a small difference to bookings.

You must make it very clear in your adverts or you will receive some complaints. I wouldn't worry too much though as probably for the majority of holiday makers, it won't be an issue.
What Kev said.

If it's in a block I'd be more concerned about checking any restrictions on being able to let the apartment for FHL, particularly if being able to do that would be key to your purchase.
Kernow

Thannks

Post by Kernow »

Thanks to everyone who responded. The consensus seems to be that it is not a massive issue so will give it a go and let you know how I get on.