Wonderful Spanish Government website

For topics that are specific to Spain, please go here.
costa-brava

catastro

Post by costa-brava »

Casscat, it looks to me like you have similar problems to me. If so, it will be adding to your catastral value which in turn pushes up your IBI local annual council tax. Lorca managed to get his/hers sorted by convincing them with photos and escritura. As I understand from my surveyor, everything is a lot easier if you are only wanting to return to the description in the escritura. In my case I have found two errors that have been added since the escritura and unfortunately three errors in the escritura. So I will need the certificate from the surveyor.
One of the things I did was to take a big tape measure and check the sizes myself, so I know they are not correct. You have a bigger task with nearly 6000sq/m.
The land area is important to get right just to avoid possession conflicts with neighbours but it does not affect the catastral value for IBI. That is set according to the built floor area of all of the house on all floors. If part of the house is just a washing room or storage and is shown as "trastero" it only counts as 50% of the parts marked "vivienda" living space.
If I were you I would find an "arquitecto tecnico" and take along your papers. A simple consultation should not cost a cent but he/she will be able to put you straight with many of your questions.
The other thing that is important about the catastral value is that in the future it affects the amount of inheritance tax your heirs will pay, or the taxes you have to pay if you sell the property.
costa-brava

Post by costa-brava »

I first posted this back at the beginning of March. I have just looked in the Sede Electronica de Catastro and my property details have been corrected. In the end it cost my absolutely nothing but will save about €100 a year in taxes and thousands of euros if we sell or if the property passes to inheritance.
I spoke to my neighbour and explained the situation who suggested contacting the local town hall. We went together to see the man responsible for "catastro" and took along some photos. He looked at the details in his computer, at our escrituras and also at Google satellite photos. He took a ruler and a calculator and asked us about each floor with balconies, porches, patios etc and redrew the plans. He said he would set it in motion and two weeks later "hey presto" it's done.
I have just posted a reply to "Andalucia Rental Licence" where my closing comment is: Go to the person who is responsible not to a "professional" agent or gestor. I was going to use the services of a surveyor but my neighbour wanted to try the town hall first. I am delighted with the outcome and delighted that I found the SEDE website in the first place.