Cleaning supplies and recycling.

If you are planning to buy a rental home, or you're thinking about what to do with one you have just acquired, this is the place for any questions about starting out in the rentals business.
Jester

Cleaning supplies and recycling.

Post by Jester »

Where do people find is the best to get their cleaning supplies?

So far I've just been getting them from Aldi and various own brand supermarket stuff but obviously there is the option of wholesalers but not sure which would work out best.

same goes for things like kitchen roll and loo roll. I'm trying to reduce the amount of kitchen towel I'm using (which is very little) by using microfibre cloths which I wash as I'm wary of being environmentally unfriendly.

on that note re waste from guests, I'm struggling to find some nice recycling bins ideally stackable ones for guests to sort their rubbish into that don't look like they are play school colours/style. I haven't found anything stylish that wouldn't stand out like a sore thumb, so if anyone has seen any, feel free to share the link :)
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

I just buy cleaning supplies from the supermarket, but look for offers on branded items. I have to say that I have found own label stuff from places like Aldi and Lidl to be a false economy because they really aren't a patch on the more expensive items and you end up using twice as much. However I do buy microfibre cloths etc. from Lidl and also the 99p store in my local town centre. Have you looked at signing up to something like Costco if you are buying in bulk?
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

I just buy from supermarkets, but agree with Casscat and only buy market leading brands to avoid false economy. Also as I leave cleaning materials in the cottage for guests to use I don't want to supply anything that looks cheap. But, I buy whenever I see an offer on whether I need it at the time or not, so always have quite a stock, but rarely paying the full price. Doing it that way it works out cheaper than wholesalers prices :D
zebedee

Post by zebedee »

There is a chain called Home Bargains which sell premium brands and low prices.
I stock up a lot of cleaning products from there including things like dishcloths etc.
They don't sell everything I use though, such as dishwasher liquid and nice soft toilet rolls. I think you just really need to shop around like you would for your own household products and buy bargains as and when you see them.
Astorchamonix

Post by Astorchamonix »

Poundland has lots of branded stuff and is good for things like cloths, bleach etc
I also get things like little packs of tissues for the guests from there, and pound DVDs for our dvd library. Obviously you have to be careful that anything you buy isn't cheap and nasty but I would definitely recommend a visit.
SandyBeaches

Post by SandyBeaches »

+1 for Home Bargains. Love it!

But equally I love Lidl and shop there lots. Their dishwasher tablets (not the right cheapo ones) are excellent, and the washing powder and conditioner are fine too. Bleach is bleach and it's cheap in Lidl, and also the toilet rolls (Florys) ones are fine too. They sell fairy washing up liquid, and we put their handwashes in the cottages too.

The only things I buy branded are bin bags (sorry it has to be brabantia), cif spray and tile/wood floor cleaner. And viakal, lots of, as we're in a hard water area.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I have some white bags from Ikea that I have left for recycling. Unobtrusive, reasonably priced, can be washed and will fold away out of site if not required.