What's an acceptable amount of loo roll to leave?

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
kendalcottages

What's an acceptable amount of loo roll to leave?

Post by kendalcottages »

For years, we've been leaving 4 toilet rolls (2 in each toilet) for our property that sleeps 4 people (but is usually occupied by just couples).

Recently, we had repeat guests who normally only stay for short breaks, but this time stayed a week. They had a bit of a moan about the quantities of extras we leave, and among them was a gripe about loo roll... I'd have thought 4 rolls was enough but would be interested to hear what others leave.

They also grumbled about not having a change of towels, and that 4 bath towels and 4 hand towels was not sufficient for a week's stay (despite the property having a washer/dryer and us supplying washing tablets for that machine should they wish to use it)...

So much for self-catering, eh? Seriously, though... would be interested to hear your thoughts. Would hate to think we are under-supplying in any way.
Kendal Holiday Cottages Ltd., Kendal, Cumbria - between the Lake District & the Yorkshire Dales.
ianh100

Post by ianh100 »

Are you running a hotel? We leave a pint of milk, should we leave enough for a week? As you say it is self catering. We were only leaving one roll but have included 2 more recently. The challenge is the more you leave the more they assume they can just ask for more or accuse you of being tight.

We describe what we provide as a welcome pack "to get you started". It is not intended to cover the full stay. We provide all sorts of basics including cooking oil, spices, tin foil etc. Where do you stop?
rammy100

Post by rammy100 »

Two rolls here although a family of 4 once griped because they had to purchase more for their week long stay and made a big deal because they left a few rolls behind.
Here we go again........
JaneV

Post by JaneV »

I leave 3 toilet rolls in the 1 toilet that we have and the cottage sleeps 6. I also leave a decent supply of all the essentials you can think of to save on packing. If I were a guest, I wouldn't dream of asking for a change of towels during a 1 week stay. I don't think that's usual for a self-catering property - only B&B's and hotels!
JaneV

Post by JaneV »

Wow rammy100, some people are really mean!
newtimber

Post by newtimber »

I think that the higher the quality of the accommodation the more loo rolls should be provided.

Seeing as loo rolls tend to come in packets of 4, it is really irritating to find you might be a few pieces short. You definitely don't want to run out but buying 4 loo rolls and then not using them appears wasteful. The owner may not want to use the loo rolls you leave behind.

The cost of providing sufficient is not that great and I'd prefer to have loo rolls than the bottle of wine.
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

1 week = 2 loo rolls in each bathroom, (effectively 1 roll per person), 1 bath sheet and 1 hand towel per person. Fortunately we live in a part of the country where guests are able to purchase loo rolls from a number of different outlets, along with other essentials we fail to provide like frozen chips. Or steak. Quite a number of things in fact.

Which part of "self catering" do these people struggle with?
Marks

Post by Marks »

They'll be wanting a wipe & clean service next :wink:
Some guests just need a sympathetic pat. On the head. With a hammer.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

The more you leave, the more people will expect. As we say it is "self catering". I'm grateful for whatever I find when I go away, buy more if needs be and leave behind what I don't use as a "gift" to the next guests. Life is really too short to grumble about running out of loo roll!

I only leave one now in my own property, simply because my cleaner doesn't drive and I take in supplies each time I visit. One is better than none in my book, but ideally I would leave one and one spare. I know my guests think my supplies are good enough.

Clearly your guests had false expectations based on how much you supplied for a short stay and thought it would be sized up accordingly. As for not enough towels...... :roll:
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

We leave two lovely soft white ones per stay, but bearing in mind the number of yukky and distinctly scratchy pink ones we get left behind, maybe we should be more generous, as I end up using the horrid pink ones.
amandajane

Post by amandajane »

It's not a hotel! How irritating, especially with repeat guests.

I leave 2or 3 in a basket next to the loo in the main bathroom and usually just one in the downstairs loo which is not much better than a "gardeners toilet" so don't imagine folk use it a lot.

I also hide spares for us in the back of just about every cupboard - dread the prospect of 4 hours on the m5 and no loo roll on arrival!
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

I have 3 toilets in my 3 bedroom cottage and I leave one roll in each. It's self catering!!!! Where do you draw the line in the amount of extras you provide? I wouldn't have the nerve to ask for more. I've stayed in cottages where there is absolutely nothing provided at all i.e. literally like camping. My T&Cs make it quite clear that I provide items to tide them over only. If they want to pay me hotel rates then I would gladly supply more. When I have had guests ask for more I have pointed them in the direction of the local shop and I have no qualms about doing so.
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

I supply loo rolls for the entire stay (it's a usp :lol: ). I just thought it was a nice thing to do, that was cheap enough.

In the en-suites I leave 3/4 plus the one on the roll...and in the shared bathroom I put about 6 in a basket plus the one on the roll. I then replace on the Saturday if needs be for 2nd weekers.

In reality I reckon no more than a couple get used between 2 people in a week...so 2 per couple.

I do hate seeing a skimpy supply of loo rolls...but that's a personal thing. I would say 2 per bathroom should be the minimum.

Mousie
x
Last edited by Mouse on Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
tavi

Post by tavi »

I seem to be bucking the trend - I leave a supply for their whole stay (based on average use I tell them:) ). I calculate one roll per couple per two days. So 4 or 5 for a week, 8 or 10 for two weeks. I do only sleep two so no-one's drowning in loo rolls!

They sometimes buy more so clearly my calculations are not always correct but I never get any moans.

If we think guests are mean for not being willing to buy then it's understandable they should think the same of us if we only supply the bare minimum?

p.s. I see Mouse does the same thing. Though my guests clearly get through a lot more than yours Mouse :)
Last edited by tavi on Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I have tried to get M to leave more loo rolls, but she does say that it isn't necessary. It also means she doesn't have to go and buy more. She's got a lot of apartments to look after now, so relies on me to have stores of stuff like cleaning supplies, loo roll and welcome pack items in my store room.