Holiday Lettings/VAT Invoice question....?

If you are planning to buy a rental home, or you're thinking about what to do with one you have just acquired, this is the place for any questions about starting out in the rentals business.
Kiz

Holiday Lettings/VAT Invoice question....?

Post by Kiz »

I have been contacted by a guest who stayed in my property recently requesting an Invoice with the VAT listed separately.
The booking came via my advert with Holiday lettings.
Is this something I should do or is this something Holiday lettings should provide them with? I assumed that as all payments go via Holiday Lettings then the guests should be contacting them for this information?
Anyone experienced this before?
JanB

Post by JanB »

You can only provide a VAT receipt if you are VAT registered.

It might be they just want a straightforward receipt which you can presumably provide them with as it might have been a stay for business purposes where the guest needs to have the evidence of the cost of the accommodation.

Hope this helps.
"It's a funny old world...." but full of the most amazing people. :-) Sense of humour essential!
Kiz

Post by Kiz »

Thanks for responding Kemblecottage.
Yes, they stayed for business purposes and are European so i'm guessing they plan to claim back their VAT whilst they were staying in the UK.
We're not VAT registered, but would they have paid vat as part of their payment to Holiday lettings wouldn't they?
JanB

Post by JanB »

No they won't have paid VAT to holidaylettings as they are taking the payments only, minus a commission. It is you who are taking the bulk of rental and not HL.

You will need to explain that no VAT was charged for your accommodation, so you cannot itemise VAT in any receipt but that you can provide a receipt just for the rental amount. This will enable them to claim the cost of their stay if they are employees or to put through their accounts if self employed.

The VAT, in this case, is irrelevant. So often people get confused but it is simple: if no VAT was charged (as you are not VAT registered) then no VAT can be claimed or itemised on a receipt.

Alternatively, your guest could print out the payment history from their HL booking which will suffice as a receipt as it will show payments they have made for their holidays.
"It's a funny old world...." but full of the most amazing people. :-) Sense of humour essential!
Kiz

Post by Kiz »

Thank you so much for taking the time to clarify that all for me :D I'm learning everyday!!
Joanna

Post by Joanna »

Seems to me that they effectively bought two separate things - an online booking service and a holiday rental, hence they need two separate VAT invoices, one from HL and one from you.
Jo

Joint owner of Baker's Cottage in Chester & Chandler's Cottage in Sidmouth
Essar

Post by Essar »

kemblecottage wrote:No they won't have paid VAT to holidaylettings as they are taking the payments only, minus a commission. It is you who are taking the bulk of rental and not HL.

You will need to explain that no VAT was charged for your accommodation, so you cannot itemise VAT in any receipt but that you can provide a receipt just for the rental amount. This will enable them to claim the cost of their stay if they are employees or to put through their accounts if self employed.

The VAT, in this case, is irrelevant. So often people get confused but it is simple: if no VAT was charged (as you are not VAT registered) then no VAT can be claimed or itemised on a receipt.

Alternatively, your guest could print out the payment history from their HL booking which will suffice as a receipt as it will show payments they have made for their holidays.
Here's a thought.

If the booking was done on HL commission listing and the guest was charged a booking fee by HL; then I would assume that this booking fee was inclusive of VAT (HL being VAT registered). In which case the guest should ask HL for a VAT invoice for the booking fee portion of the reservation cost.

Or not!
"Write something, even if it's just a suicide note"
"There is no human problem which could not be solved if people would simply do as I advise"
"As for my amnesia, I've had it as long as I can remember"
Joanna

Post by Joanna »

Crossed with last two posts! You can issue an invoice and just make it clear that no VAT was charged by you and refer them to HL for the commission element. Just don't include the commission in your invoice.
Jo

Joint owner of Baker's Cottage in Chester & Chandler's Cottage in Sidmouth