Kitchen sinks...??

If you are planning to buy a rental home, or you're thinking about what to do with one you have just acquired, this is the place for any questions about starting out in the rentals business.
johnandtahra

Kitchen sinks...??

Post by johnandtahra »

We're stuck: ceramic or stainless steel. Ceramic looks better, but stainless steel might be the more sensible choice. On a hardwood worktop. Any recs? Ta.
other

Post by other »

. .
Last edited by other on Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

We just visited our apartment at the weekend. The ceramic sink is scratched so much it is destroyed. Would never chose one for a rental.
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

Stainless steel - but good quality.
johnandtahra

Post by johnandtahra »

OK, so s/s it is then. I must admit I was against them as I often think they look a bit cheap (i.e. the stuff of student flats) but perhaps I'm judging them based on cheap ones....

Any particular recommendations for style?
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

What type of worktop do you have?

I have twin undermounted s/s sinks with granite worktops, but if you don't have drainage grooves then you will need to think about a style which incorporates a draining board.
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

Don't go for white ceramic. I thought it looked lovely when I installed it but, almost without fail, after every let it is brown! I have to spend ages scrubbing the tea and coffee stains off. Guests also often remove the washing up bowl and wash pots and pans in it which has resulted in the bottom becoming pitted and scratched. :cry:
SandyBeaches

Post by SandyBeaches »

We have a white ceramic butler sink in one cottage for three years now and it's been fine. We bleach any stains out. There's a plastic sink in the other cottage which is also fine. At home we have stainless steel and I always find it looks a mess the whole time as we have quite hard water which marks it. They can scratch too, but the scratches do polish out.

I think your selection should be down to personal choice and what will look good with the style of the rest of your kitchen ie what oven/appliances/units you have.
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

Guess what is the main cause of scratching on the bottom of the sink?
Plastic washing up bowls.
Get a tiny particle of something gritty under the bowl, fill the bowl with water and dishes to make it really heavy and ensure the grit embeds into the plastic. Now move the bowl slightly across the bottom of the sink - the sort of motion naturally associated with washing dishes works fine - and Hey Presto! - the sink is scratched!
Check out the recommendations of the sink manufacturers.
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

greenbarn wrote:Guess what is the main cause of scratching on the bottom of the sink?
Plastic washing up bowls.
Get a tiny particle of something gritty under the bowl, fill the bowl with water and dishes to make it really heavy and ensure the grit embeds into the plastic. Now move the bowl slightly across the bottom of the sink - the sort of motion naturally associated with washing dishes works fine - and Hey Presto! - the sink is scratched!
Check out the recommendations of the sink manufacturers.
:idea: Oh I hadn't thought of that! :roll:
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

Bunny wrote:Don't go for white ceramic. I thought it looked lovely when I installed it but, almost without fail, after every let it is brown! I have to spend ages scrubbing the tea and coffee stains off. Guests also often remove the washing up bowl and wash pots and pans in it which has resulted in the bottom becoming pitted and scratched. :cry:
Try using bicarbonate of soda mixed into a paste with a little water. The brown staining is probably tea/coffee dregs poured down the sink and not rinsed away.
Dogs have masters. Cats have slaves!
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

PW in Polemi wrote:
Bunny wrote:Don't go for white ceramic. I thought it looked lovely when I installed it but, almost without fail, after every let it is brown! I have to spend ages scrubbing the tea and coffee stains off. Guests also often remove the washing up bowl and wash pots and pans in it which has resulted in the bottom becoming pitted and scratched. :cry:
Try using bicarbonate of soda mixed into a paste with a little water. The brown staining is probably tea/coffee dregs poured down the sink and not rinsed away.
Thanks Polemi. Yes, it's definitely tea and coffee. Why can't they just run the tap when they pour it down the sink. They can see the state they are getting it in but still think it's acceptable to leave it like it. :evil: