Bed options?

If you are planning to buy a rental home, or you're thinking about what to do with one you have just acquired, this is the place for any questions about starting out in the rentals business.
BigM

Bed options?

Post by BigM »

Hi - newbie just starting out with a second home in Devon which we are hoping may make a bit of income renting out.

One question I have is beds in the second bedroom. It is a bit smaller than we wanted - we have a width of 2200mm. This will take two twin 3ft beds with about 35 cm (12 inches) between the beds. Not ideal.

However, I have been looking at two 2 ft 6" beds which zip together to make a kingsize double. We have a good sized main bedroom which will have a kingsize as well.

Is this the best option. The 2 ft 6" beds will be fine for kids with the parents having the kingsize bed in the main room. However they might be a bit narrow for adults, but a couple could zip the two together.

Thoughts please.
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

A bed 2ft 6" wide is not an adult size, and you'd have to make that very clear on your website information. But as you say, fine for kids, and if you have them as zip/link you've got a double. That way you cater for two markets - two couples or one couple with kid(s).
If four adults, or a couple with teenage kids, want to book and know that the singles are not adult size, that's up to them - as long as you've made it clear.

BTW, if your main bedroom is big enough then seriously consider having a zip/link 6ft wide bed - ie two 3ft wide full sized singles, as long as there's access on both sides when it's made up as a double. Gives that bit more flexibility, depending on your target market.

Oh, and welcome to the nuthouse.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

I have one bedroom with two 2'6" beds in. I state this on my website etc. I've lost one booking recently as a couple wanted to sleep in separate bedrooms and deemed the narrow beds too small. However, I've had sets of couples use all beds and not complained, even returned too!

I know we are all getting used to larger beds, but my property bedroom footprints are small and so I have a standard 4'6" double in the main bedroom. That equates to 2'3" space per person. Suddenly a 2'6" single doesn't seem quite so small when you do that calculation! Zipping them together is a good option.

My main market is for two people though, so the smaller beds are not used too frequently throughout the year.
SandyBeaches

Post by SandyBeaches »

I think as long as you make it clear on your website and in any correspondence that the beds are 2'6" ones that should be fine. You don't say what kind of target audience your property is aimed at/appeals to?

If it's just adults then the 2' 6" ones are not great. But if you're aiming at families than that would be OK for the kids I think.

We have zip and link 3' singles in two rooms which turn into superkings. In the summer the house is booked with families, and in the winter we get lots of weekend breaks for couples and we turn them into doubles. So it's quite flexible.

The only downsides are that you need double the amount of bedding, and it takes extra time to convert the beds when you need to do that at changeover. But definitely worth doing to offer the extra flexibility.
anya752000

Post by anya752000 »

We have one king size in the main bedroom and a super king zip and link in the second bedroom. That works well with families and friends.
I think that people are used to larger beds now but as long as you make it clear that the singles are small singles then it is perfectly acceptable. As Nemo says it will put some people off but you can't please everybody :D
BigM

Post by BigM »

Thanks guys.

The property is located in a popular surfing village, so will likely to be adults and children in the summer and couples off season. It does attract a few all male stag types, but we are not sure that we want to be in that market.

As it is our first year and we are a good four hours away, we are probably going to use a management company rather than advertise ourselves.
Annew

Post by Annew »

Welcome Big M

& Good luck with your venture in Devon; I'm guessing it's Croyde or Westward Ho!

The market in coastal surfing villages is indeed very different to some seaside areas.

You are probably wanting bookings outside of the school holidays, so full size twin beds would probably be better for adults - we find that a lot of adults go away in groups of couples. We have no zip-links (we have 2 kings/doubles bedrooms and 3 twin bedrooms in in each of our properties) but that doesn't seem to stop couples from booking.

If you have zip-link beds you will need to have more linen and a good relationship with your housekeepers to ensure the beds are made up correctly.

Is there room in the bedroom for a bedside table or wardrobe/cupboard?

IME stag surf groups are usually quite nice and spend very little time indoors :-D
If you want to find me, Google The Barton Poughill!