1 year down, ready for round 2!

If you are planning to buy a rental home, or you're thinking about what to do with one you have just acquired, this is the place for any questions about starting out in the rentals business.
minxx

1 year down, ready for round 2!

Post by minxx »

Over the past year I've read with great interest the multitude of posts on LMH, but having no previous experience of running a holiday let I felt I couldn't contribute any advice to them :oops:

However I'm pleased to say we have just celebrated our first successful year in business and I hope to be able to eventually contribute to posts in the future since I now have a little more experience under my belt.

It's been an interesting year and we've met all kinds of people, in general we've only had really two bad experiences, the 1st two sets of guests actually!
This did make me wonder if every guest would be like this and if it would be worth the effort of providing clean, modern and comfortable surroundings for them just to trash it :evil:

I'm pleased to say however that in general most guests have been lovely and treated our property with respect, some have even left thank you cards and chocolates. :D

So, just a thank you really to LMH'ers and your invaluable advice :D
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

Happy Anniversary minxx! :D Looking forward to seeing a lot more of you now that you are a 'veteran', although I haven't hit my first year yet and look what a forum gasbag I have turned out to be! :P
minxx

Post by minxx »

Casscat wrote:Happy Anniversary minxx! :D Looking forward to seeing a lot more of you now that you are a 'veteran', although I haven't hit my first year yet and look what a forum gasbag I have turned out to be! :P
Wow...970 posts, you have been busy, and I've a long way to go to catch up! :)
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

Well done on your first year! Always a steep learning curve. And welcome to the forum...just wade in like the rest of us! :lol:

Mousie
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
annedab

Post by annedab »

Hello and welcome! This forum was invaluable during some of the darker days of our first year. Even in the unlikely event that you don't find the answers you are looking for, you will at least find something that makes you laugh on a bad day :D
Regards

Anne

If there's no such thing as co-incidence, then why is there a word for it?
aasta

Post by aasta »

:D congrats!!! LMH was a life saver our first year and actually, gave us the courage to continue......now in year 4...thanks all you LMHers!
aasta
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

A bit like Casscat, being a newbie didn't stop me posting as I no doubt had more questions than answers! I think I've redressed the balance now, nearly seven years on and 5000 plus posts! Eek!

Glad to hear your first year went well and long may it continue.
minxx

Post by minxx »

Thanks everyone for your comments and anniversary congrats :)

After first opening I had prepared myself for the worst after reading some LMH horror guest problems (didn't let OH read them as he'd have changed his mind about doing it!), but consider ourselves lucky that the worst we've had was urine on the brand new carpet and in new chest of drawer (OH discovered it after taking his shoes off and got a wet foot :shock: ) and used ladies sanitary items shoved under said chest of drawers...all from same guest!
tavi

Post by tavi »

gawd almighty minx, I think I would have given up if that had been my first guest.

Congrats on your first year and here's to many more.
minxx

Post by minxx »

tavi wrote:gawd almighty minx, I think I would have given up if that had been my first guest.

Congrats on your first year and here's to many more.
Tavi, same guests also seemed to have trouble using a bin as we found multiple sweet packets shoved in to each crevice of the new sofas and under them.
Oh and blood on the sheets (fair enough accidents happen) and up the wall :roll:

They were the 2nd guests (never again!), our first guests weren't so bad, they were just serial tea spillers leaving multiple trails from the kitchen to the bedrooms, leaving little motorways across the new carpets :D
And funny looking custard consistency yellow gunk all over bathroom, no idea what it was!
anya752000

Post by anya752000 »

minxx wrote: And funny looking custard consistency yellow gunk all over bathroom, no idea what it was!
Sometimes it's best not to think about what you are cleaning up :shock: