Canary Islands Villa Registration

For topics that are specific to Spain, please go here.
Blackfoot

Canary Islands Villa Registration

Post by Blackfoot »

Hi all, new joiner to the site.

I have a question regarding the legislation passed in the Canaries last week, 22nd of May, regarding the registration of holiday let villa's.

We currently own one and are looking at a second one at the moment....however before we go ahead we really need some clarity on the new regulations.

Can anyone shed any light?

Cheers.
Badger

Post by Badger »

Hi Blackfoot, the best place for all the facts regarding the new regulations is www.janetanscombe.com then click on heading for paperwork & legality.
Blackfoot

Post by Blackfoot »

Badger,

Thanks for that...pretty much as clear as mud isn't it?

So the way I read it....you will only be able to holiday let in "non-tourist areas"?

Isn't this the sort of legislation that will ruin the islands holiday rental markets...or am I missing something?

Cheers.
Badger

Post by Badger »

Its all an absolute nightmare!
I thought I read somewhere though that there may be different rules for villas?
It also depends whether you have an independent villa or one on a tourist registerd complex.
It may be worth asking your question actually on her website as she is very clear and concise regarding all aspects of the new legislation.
Last edited by Badger on Thu May 28, 2015 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

My Spanish isn't up to it, but have you read the entire decree or had someone do so and translate? http://www.janetanscombe.com/wp-content ... 1-2512.pdf This is a neat summary it seems: http://thecanarynews.com/canary-islands ... es-decree/ What is your situation Blackfoot? It would appear that if you are already in an area which is subject to holiday home rental embargo this will continue to be outlawed. Was it expected (or at least hoped for) that this would be loosened up?
Blackfoot

Post by Blackfoot »

Thanks for that, we have one villa currently. Not on a community and totally privately owned...I won't be buying a second until we're sure we're safe!
Blackfoot

Post by Blackfoot »

Casscat, we have a villa in PDC....probably shouldn't rent it at all..but this new legislation seems like they'll be tightening up in it. Given that most villas probably shouldn't be rented...what will it do the economy?

Ours is in a touristca area which it seems would not allow us to rent it at all....doesn't make a lot of sense..
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

It's obvious that they have shot themselves in the foot. The pressure from hotels etc. has won the day, but they have failed to recognise the financial contribution to the local economy of self-caterers shopping in local stores, eating in local restaurants, spending time at local amenities. Not everyone wants a hotel holiday and failing to cater for all tastes diminishes your tourist offering. The hoteliers will feel that too when they sit in their hotels with no shops, bars or restaurants around them because they've all gone bust.
Badger

Post by Badger »

Unfortunately the Canarian tourist officials are still under the illusion that they can exist and go more upmarket with their 5 star AI hotels and the rest of the tourists will be happy being herded into tourist apartments run by sole agents who can charge what fees they want to the owners and dictate how many weeks an owner is allowed to use his own apartment.
As for renting on what is classed as a"residential complex" (regardless of the fact it is bang slap in the middle of the main tourist areas) dont even think about it, cos its not allowed.
The goverment have allowed the powerful hotel association Ashotel to dictate the terms of the holiday industry and they dont care that the local businesses are dying meanwhile.
Ria

Post by Ria »

http://www.janetanscombe.com/news/letti ... aries.html

This may help. I have just taken our apartment off the listing sites as it looks as if this will be the end of private renting. What a shame.
Blackfoot

Post by Blackfoot »

Ria,

I wouldn't be quite that hasty.

There's an awful lot of scaremongering going on here.

ASCAV are taking the whole thing to the National Commission of Markets and Competition and the Court of Justice to have this ridiculous clause removed.

I own two rental properties in Lanzarote, my lawyer isn't at all concerned and is instead applying for the new tourist licences which will be required under the amended bill.

To press ahead with this piece of legislation that was clearly "bought" by the hoteliers at the last moment would ruin the economy of the Canaries. There are thousands of holiday rentals which, with the correct governance, will net the government a great deal of tax every year.

If you haven't already done so, I'd encourage you to sign the petition below and get as many others as possible to do so. It's all about strength in numbers.

Change is coming, hopefully for the better.

Cheers

https://www.change.org/p/presidente-gob ... custom_msg