Managing wi-fi and internet access

For topics that are specific to Spain, please go here.
Emkay

Managing wi-fi and internet access

Post by Emkay »

First post, deep breath, here goes.

We have two cottages in rural France, and have let them out for the last 15 years. Internet and wifi connection is now more or less obligatory., and we have provided this for the last few years without any problem.

However, I am concerned by the rapid rise of media-heavy apps such as Facetime (the video in particular), Skype and Netflix in particular.

I'm interested to know how others have coped with these new internet technologies. I am worried that a thoughtless guest - we get them very occasionally... ;) - will burn through our monthly allowance in a couple of long Facetime calls or by downloading 15 episodes of Downton.

How do you control it? Can you control it?
I have wondered if we could somehow provide charged wifi...like the airports do where people can log on and buy so many GB of data. Feasible? Anyone done it? Gap in the market for an app?

- Mark
Emkay

And I even managed to post it in the wrong section....!

Post by Emkay »

:(
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

I know you posted this in the wrong place Emkay, but do you have any providers of unlimited internet in France? I pay €9,95 per month for unlimited in Spain and it has proved perfectly adequate for streaming live TV etc. This is in a rural location where there are no land lines and internet is provided via mobile technology.
Emkay

Post by Emkay »

Yes, thanks. We are looking into that as well. :)
donnylu

Post by donnylu »

What company is that Casscat?
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

It's Internet Directo, and they've been brilliant (internet collapsed on Wednesday on day of arrival of guests, engineer out to fit new dish next morning, all up and working straight away) but their catchment area is as yet very small: http://www.internetdirecto.com/cobertur ... et-malaga/