Heating/Hot Water - all electric

If you are planning to buy a rental home, or you're thinking about what to do with one you have just acquired, this is the place for any questions about starting out in the rentals business.
EdinburghCityApartments

Heating/Hot Water - all electric

Post by EdinburghCityApartments »

So, now I've sorted the sofa issue (got some nice new ones :D ), I'm back for more pearls of wisdom.

Been racking my brain and can't think of a perfect solution with this.

So...this apartment has no gas. It's all electric.

Currently has storage heaters in all rooms plus a cold and hot water tank in the bathroom (taking up a lot of space). My first apartment was a studio in the exact same place so I changed to an electric shower/no bath, small water heater for kitchen and bathroom taps and put in 2 electric panel heaters. Definitely more expensive but much easier for guests. There's no way it would be practical for me to keep storage heaters for a holiday flat.

Now, this one is a 2 bedroom and I don't want to take the bath away as it's more of a family place and would affect resale. Think I have the heating kind of sorted although that can change depending on what I do with the water system.

Pretty much, I REALLY don't want to keep the tanks. They just take up too much room and I probably want to do some sort of luxury refurb of the bathroom next year which would mean getting rid of them. BUT...what other options do I have to get enough hot water to run a bath? Are these 80l water heaters my only option? Problem is, I'll have to be coming off economy 7 tariffs due to getting rid of storage heaters so potentially that'd be really expensive (I think??). And it'd probably have to stay in the bathroom which would affect the look of it.

Anyone have any genius idea? Not really clued up on all the options - just wish I could phone up and order a gas connection!
Gary2604

Post by Gary2604 »

Hi...just new on this forum....and about to start our first holiday let so I am not speaking from any experience :shock:

We have a similar situation with our flat. No gas supply. Luckily or maybe unluckily the flat were buying comes with a brand new electric boiler (wet system using standard radiators) that the previous owner bought but had yet to fit. Have no experience of these systems but we have no other option except electric storage heaters as no other fuel available/practical.

Now having done a bit of research the boiler we have is like this:
This has an inbuilt water tank...180L I think but is obviously a big floor standing unit so not much use for you.

The other type of electric heater though is an inline type like this:

This...just like an electric shower only heats up the water flowing through it so could be used to fill a bath.

Just from a personal point of view....I would question the need for a bath in an apartment. I know you said you are worried about resale value without a bath but given the relatively low cost to fit a bath v's the price of the property is that really a major stumbling block? If it were me and with limited space I would fit a shower and forget the bath.